Lining paper fail on bad filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone- new to this site as a poster but have lurked many times and found it useful. Cant find anything specific to this issue and was hoping someone could help

Have used wallrock fibreliner previously in our master bedroom (in the same house) with amazing, close to skim coat of plaster type finish. Meticulous wall prep, paste the wall and hang, then fill the join, sand and paint.

Skip forward to now. Exact same technique used in our hallway (Edwardian semi). Most of it is great but there is a big issue

On this wall there was a large a patch that had been previously filled with some sort of sandy/ grey/ concrete type filler (looks like where previous wiring might have been tunnelled). We filled over this and sanded flat again with easifill (but couldn't go too hard as this stuff wouldn't sand flat and I didn't want to create a high point). Unfortunately and stupidly I now realise we didn't use a primer. Now that the lining paper is on you can see these awful clusters of lumps (these definitely weren't there when we finished prepping)- its like the sandy filler has reacted with the water in the paste- it looks horrible

Is there ANY way to sort this without removing the fibre liner? (We used the power adhesive paste and it doesn't come off easy)- I was wondering about a very thin layer of easifill over the lumps to level them and then carefully sand the perimeter of the filler- might look obvious though if it paints a different texture. This is right in our entrance to the house so it sticks out like a sore thumb

I do know its better to pay a plasterer but we don't have the money :(

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Twice I thought to answer and twice I deleted my reply because I could not find something useful to say. Here is attempt 3.

Your grey "filler" might have been hardwall or simply mortar. You should have persevered with sanding (thicker grade paper, electric sander, chisel, scraper, more elbow grease) so it would be level if not a bit below the rest of the wall surface. What you save from not getting a plasterer in you may have to spend on tools but then you got them for a long time. What width was the filling knife you used and did you fill well beyond the grey "filler"? My feeling is you overfilled over the patched areas so they became smooth but you forgot to keep it all level. And with the paper being one consistent surface + the light you got in the room you now see all the bumps.

I would start again. I don't know if the problems are in many walls or just the one. Also, I don't like easifil, instead use Toupret as in this example https://www.toolstation.com/toupret-interior-filler/p63284

It could be possible to fill over the lining paper but you would have to use wide knives if not a plasterer's finishing trowel, and you should really use a finer premixed version of the above filler (it comes in a white tube with blue writing). The issue is you can not do much sanding where the filler will meet the paper ... and given your lack of experience you will need to sand, and you will end up needing to remove the paper and start all over anyway.

If the problem is just on one wall on or a few drops of paper, and you decide to remove just those drops, when you remove the paper that has to go make sure the paper that has to stay does not get wet at all. I can't really give you any advice on papering as it is not my thing.

PS. Consider if furniture might cover some of the bumps and leave it all for another time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply- yes we used a plasterer's finishing trowel and filled far past this mortar or whatever it is. Its good to know for the future where I went wrong

You are right though I think its better to start again- its not on a very large area but its very visible and can't be left like this- I will have to remove the offending pieces of paper and restart. I will buy some Toupret instead of easifill and give it a try first but I suspect it will show.

Appreciate your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back