Easing a corded curtain track system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a new Swish aluminium curtain track fitted. It's been bent to fit our bay but the bends are quite shallow.

As soon as we hung our heavy (but inside the weight limit) curtains, it just stopped working even on the straight bit. We think this is because it has a sticking-out-bit to let the curtains overlapping, this means the curtain is pulling down and twisting the fitting rather than pulling directly vertical, causing it to rub.

I've seen people suggest using certain lubricants but I'm not sure to what purpose exactly... to leave a low-friction layer or to have a 'wet' lubricant?
We think we have some furniture polish, I also have some special WD40-PTFE spray and I wondered if that would be good?

Sponsored Links
sounds like you have insufficient supports to the rail. Fit some more.

I
I also have some special WD40-PTFE spray and I wondered if that would be good?
That would be good - spray onto a cloth and wipe the track - the overspray can go everywhere leaving ptfe spots on walls :(

sounds like you have insufficient supports to the rail. Fit some more.
Why does it sound like that? This is with the curtain fully open, getting it to move at all. I see no flex on the rail itself. I do have some spare supports from another rail which didn't survive the bending process ;)

Sponsored Links
Have you gone the posh route- straight bit on the wall then a bend out into the bay then an in bend at the middle window, another in bend at the right hand window and finally an out bend to the straight bit on the wall? The picture on the packaging of my plastic corded track showed this arrangement but it didn't work at all (at the out bends the strings were cutting the corner giving too much friction).
Solution was to ditch the straight bits on the wall (so the track is solely in the bay with only in bends)- works nicely now.
Your PTFE spray will certainly help- I had some drainpipe lubricant to hand so used that & it made the action much lighter and smoother

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back