Curtain pull-cord system for large bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if there's a proper name for a "pull-cord system" but I assume it's clear what I mean... a rail the curtain hangs from, you have two cords to open/close the curtains :)

My childhood home had these with heavy curtains and my overriding memory is they were always getting stiff or breaking. Are they better these days? My ceilings are 9'6" so drawing back the curtains is a right faff with a regular rail, you end up just drawing back the middle and the top stays closed.

We have a couple of big Victorian bays. The middle being a 2-over-2 sash with a 1-over-1 on each side. Currently they do have a floating curved rail - see photo - but it's a bit wobbly.

Is it feasible I could have nice thick curtains on a curved pull-cord that actually work reliably?

IMG_20171110_115102.jpg

Sponsored Links
you can get them.
Probably the best is to have them bent by the retailer, rather than a DIY bend.
Presumably they are ok, but weight and bend will affect the drag.

As in, you specify a template and they make them to fit? Are there any good makes to recommend - I no nothing about this!?

Sponsored Links
I found one online but they wanted to charge I think £60 extra per bend, on top of whatever it costs to begin with. Compared to 5* rated DIY bend products on Amazon for £30 or something.
The cheap ones seem worryingly cheap (but maybe it's simply not that complicated), the high end ones overly expensive. Not knowing about this I'm a bit lost where to start. I guess I could buy a cheap one and have a play, throw it away if it's crap.
TBH I have no idea what curtains even cost!

I have used the cheaper Swish plastic tracks in the past with heavy curtains and they have been ok.

Just remember to spray some silicone into the track to reduce friction.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Automotive/d60/Lubricants+&+Sprays/sd2795/Silicone+Spray/p21983

If you find that the curve necessitates the nylon track holding fittings to sit further away from the architrave, I use longer screws and cut small sections of 22m copper pipe to act as packing pieces, it enables me to get a more gentle curve.

I have also found Swish's customer services to be pretty good. At home we have a hockey stick bay. the track was supplied with two cords, I only wanted one, Swish sent me a longer cord (gratis) so that I could open both sides with one pull.

If you find that the curve necessitates the nylon track holding fittings to sit further away from the architrave, I use longer screws and cut small sections of 22m copper pipe to act as packing pieces, it enables me to get a more gentle curve.
Thanks for your reply... I don't suppose you could get a photo possibly (or a crappy diagram)? I'm struggling to visualise what you mean.

rather than spray (and get it on the walls and curtains) you can wipe it on with a soft cloth. This also wipes away some of the dirt and grit.

furniture polish such as Pledge or Sheen can also be used on a cloth to clean and lube plastic tracks.

I find Swish fine, and you can get matching bits anywhere. On bends, you need at least one bracket each side of the bend to hold the track in shape. Use extra brackets with heavy curtains.

Thanks for your reply... I don't suppose you could get a photo possibly (or a crappy diagram)? I'm struggling to visualise what you mean.

Well, you asked for a crappy diagram... Sorry, just having a quick lunch time pint and fired up adobe fireworks.

The green lines are supposed to be fittings that are further away from the architrave than the rest of the track, hence the need to pack them out.

I will try to post a proper image but I have a couple of very long days coming up.

curtain.jpg

Oh, actually I think that is good enough! I was picturing the pipes being vertical rather than horizontal.

My father-in-law has suggested having two separate tracks for left-right curtains to avoid one cord trying to pull two heavy curtains on bent tracks at once. It seems sensible, is this a standard practice? I certainly can cope with having two cords to pull, no problem there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back