Eastenders

AdamW said:
TexMex said:
Reminds me of Dick Van **** in Mary Poppins. Do you know I was in my late 30s before I found out. Did you know, that silly accent that he uses is supposed to be Cockney!

Seriously? Nah, he is meant to be a South African with a cleft pallet. Just listen to him.

I once vowed to learn a Canadian accent, then star in a film as an American character. Just to get them back for the D yke Van Dick incident.

I watched Gangs of New York, and was re-educated in my thinking. Now, seeing as I am a quarter Welsh, spend a lot of time with my Welsh grandfather, have a few Welsh colleagues and had lots of Welsh friends at Uni, I assumed that I knew a bit about it. I had always thought "Boyo" was a term used by the Welsh, similar to the English saying "Mate". But I (along with all Welshkind) am incorrect, as the film quite clearly has an Irishman calling people "boyo" all the time.

Thank goodness the studios cleared THAT one up for us! Phew! All we need now is a film about the Welsh where they drink Guinness and say "Ah to be sure"... :LOL:

Now why would anybody want to make a film about the Welsh?

Sponsored Links
smiths said:

They made Braveheart, so surely people would find Wales' turbulent history just as interesting.

Eddie & others

Thanks for your thoughts. Will def keep you posted!

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
smiths said:

They made Braveheart, so surely people would find Wales' turbulent history just as interesting.
I can see the point smiths is making about it not appealing to the masses, I'm sure had Braveheart not been Hollywoodised it wouldn't have had much of an audience either.

Indeed, Hollywood do make history more appealing to the masses, if a little warped (i.e. the English are always the b*stards!). However there is a large enough Welsh community in the States to have got offended when Bill Clinton spoke of "welshing on a deal" in public. So I reckon that plenty of people in the states would watch it, and most people in Wales would too. And probably Aussies from New South Wales ;)

When Braveheart came out, many Americans went from shouting about how they are more Irish than the next guy to how they are of Scottish descent! So no doubt if they made a film about Welsh history then before you know it all round New York people would be saying "boyo", eating oggies and communicating via the medium of phlegm.

Maybe it's just me being proud of my Welsh blood, or maybe it's because I love Great Britain as a whole and am proud of the whole lot. But I think there is a lot of interesting history here, and people would be interested to see it... OK so it would be a warped "Let's all hate the English" Hollywood adaptation, but still pretty good to watch for a couple of hours.

I know I would watch it.

If you are prepared to watch it a few million times then i'm sure it will be a box office smash :)

It's a price I'm willing to pay boyo! Apart from the price of a million tickets to see it...

Well, Mel Gibson paid to make "The Passion of the Christ" independently, I am sure we could find some prominent Welsh people to finance this... Catherine Zeta Jones? Charlotte Church? Tom Jones? Gwyneth Paltrow (if she isn't Welsh, she should at least contribute for having a Welsh name!)

AdamW said:
However there is a large enough Welsh community in the States to have got offended when Bill Clinton spoke of "welshing on a deal" in public.

Welshing or Welching (variant) shouldn't cause offence to the welsh, as the origin of the word is unknown (well according to the OED anyway)

Catherine Zeta Jones.......Phwoarrr, wish i was a very rich lame American actor relying on the acting reputation of the other members of the family.

Steady on boyo, I've had the pleasure of meeting her, although I'm sure she wouldn't remember !! She was very attractive in the flesh too. Sean Connery was a lot taller than I'd imagined.

Eddie M said:
Steady on boyo, I've had the pleasure of meeting her, although I'm sure she wouldn't remember !! She was very attractive in the flesh too. Sean Connery was a lot taller than I'd imagined.
OOOH stop it! :oops:

Eddie M said:
Welshing or Welching (variant) shouldn't cause offence to the welsh, as the origin of the word is unknown (well according to the OED anyway)

True as that may be, they still got offended. My mum used to teach in Hounslow. In Hounslow teachers are not allowed to say "black magic" because the loonies who come up with the policies reckon the expression makes out that all black people are evil voodooers!!!

Catherine Zeta Jones... I'm just going to hold that thought for a minute...

AdamW said:
Eddie M said:
True as that may be, they still got offended. My mum used to teach in Hounslow. In Hounslow teachers are not allowed to say "black magic" because the loonies who come up with the policies reckon the expression makes out that all black people are evil voodooers!!!
Or work in a chocolate factory!

Sponsored Links
Back