Easy Nest Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think I have the simplest NEST installation possible and want to do it myself, but want to make absolutely sure that I'm not missing something.

Basically I'm happy to power the thermostat via it's USB cable and forget about running cables from the Heat Link... so no worries about accidentally hitting it with over 12v

I have a three year old Worcester combi boiler hooked up to a wireless thermostat (Salus RT500RF). The unit on the wall has four cables, Live, Neutral, Normally Open and COM all being fed from the boiler. The live feed is 230V AC.

So to my mind all I have to do is remove the old unit from the wall and hook up the heatlink using the wiring that is already there, four cables, going in to live, neutral, common and Call For Heat (Normally Open).

If I ever wanted to hook up the Nest to the Heat Link in the future I would just get a cable run that connected the T1 and T2 in the Heatlink to the Nest?

Is it really that simple? I've watched countless complicated videos with junction boxes and viper nests of cables and read a few threads on here, it's made me start questioning if I'm missing something.

Sponsored Links
... and immediately after posting I find a raft of posts in a very similar vein... I'm 99% certain I'm right... there are some configurations that have a loop and others that do not, anyone know the reason for this? I don't believe I need one?

Sponsored Links
Thought I'd post my experience of the install. It was as easy as I posted above with one small gotcha. I have a Worcester boiler (Worcester Greenstar 30 CDi), once the Nest was installed it wanted to run a test, which I did. Seconds after the boiler fired I got an error on the boiler and it died. Turns out it's supposed to do that, the error was a symbol "-//-" and it means "Siphon Fill mode" leaving the nest on test for a further 15 minutes (and leaving the boiler in it's error state) resolved the issue.

Other than that the install consisted of turning off the power to the boiler... remove one screw in the Heat Link to open it up, two screws in the old transmitter, move each of the four cables from the old transmitter to the Heat link and power it up. Go to the Nest and power that up via the USB cable and power adapter provided, follow the on screen prompts and the Nest part is done.

Signed up for an account with Nest and downloaded the app on to my phone and I'm good to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back