Eaves protectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting eaves protectors (think they also have another name) before sarking and then reclaimed slate.
Am I right in laying them over the first batten? Seems better than having the bottom batten 'exposed' close to the gutter.

Sponsored Links
You would normally lay them on the rafters not over the lath - as this could kick the first row of slates up

They are to support the felt/membrane not protect the lath .... which should be treated timber and wont need protecting

You can either prise up the lath and squeeze the tray under the lath and re-nail or just cut the width of the tray down so it butts up to the lath.

Put the eaves tray on over the fascia, nail it to rafters. Then felt, then battens.

The lowest batten won't be exposed, as it will covered by the slate.

If the slates are relatively small be careful not to cause a water trap between the lowest (eave) batten and the rigid eaves tray beneath the felt, this can be avoided by placing the eaves batten an inch or two further up the rafter and cutting your eave slates slightly longer than normal.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advise. I'm not sure if I've explained myself properly.
Firstly it's only a six foot wide section of roof joining with next door to one side, and hitting brick (raised outrigger) the other.

The 'batten' I refer to is immediately up from facia. I reckoned nailing a batten down on top of the eaves tray would have the effect of squeezing it down, then up a bit over the facia, causing a slight dip. Perhaps there's another word for this batten, as when I stripped the roof (done a few others as well) there was a wedge-shaped batten there providing support.

I see, you're referring to a timber tilt fillet behind the fascia (wedge shaped batten).

If this is in place and is exposed when the roof is on then it is either too high or the fascia is too low?

Either way - rip this batten/fillet out, as you don't need it if your installing the eaves tray, make sure the fascia is at the correct height to allow a slight kick and Bob's your uncle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back