Eaves storage, help please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be immensely grateful for some advice on a problem I have lost sleep over last night!
We wanted to remove all of the cupboards and vertical and horizontal struts in this space to be able to fit a double bed under the eaves. We removed some of the drawers last night and with it 2 of the central horizontal wooden struts (see where the red line is on image).They went into the wall and as they came out the insulation all came flooding through the hole. I am now really worried that they were supporting pieces to the roof or the frame? Please if anyone could give me any advice as to if I have caused damage or if what I am after can even be achieved I would be so so grateful. Thank you for your time

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220116-075829.png
    Screenshot_20220116-075829.png
    562.7 KB · Views: 314
Sponsored Links
Hi there

Hopefully you have sorted this since your post but (though being unqualified to say exactly) i would suggest that if the pieces you have removed are part of the built-in shelving shown in the photo, they would almost certainly not be structural roofing timber, in my opinion (and without being able to see more).

In that case it sounds like some of the plaster that contained the cavity insulation had been disturbed, causing it to fall in to the room? Prob just need to make good the plaster if so.

More photos would help (and someone who really knows what they're talking about)

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. I have investigated it further and feel the same as you and my plan was to repair the holes today so your post has given me the confidence to proceed, thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back