Hall project - Extra storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im guessing the building forum is the best place for this.

Im about to start work on our hall/stairs/landing and are looking to create additional storage.

The first area where I was looking to add storage is under the stairs, this is currently closed off, last house had a door and boiler under the stairs and was a usefull space.
Ive yet to make a hole to have a look, its plasterboard on he wall so assuming some tibmer support for this, pic of the winders shows the floorspace that should be available inside.
Is this space worth putting in a door? If I have to remove a vertical timber in the middle do I just double up the timber at either side and the top (seen this done on Velux on roof)

The next area is the eaves on the upstairs landing, feel that this is a total waste of space and could be used for storage. This area is around 2.7m long by 90cm wide.
Again still to poke a hole in and see what timber support is im place - will not be removing anything in here. Im hoping the struts are equal spacing apart and theres enough space inbetween them.

Thanks
Pody

Sponsored Links
:D The only way you will know is to make a hole and look inside :cool:

Well, attempted to make a hole in the plasterboard but its not plasterboard. Wondered why my knife was not cutting as normal, it was a sheet of mdf!

Drilled some holes and knocked thorugh a larger hole for a look, it looks like the space has been boxed off to save decorating.

You can see the orginal black floor tiles and the tiny skirting.
The wall on the righthand side is 3mm hardboard, pulled it back and theres more space under there.(original brickwork with no plaster on top.

There is a large wooden beam near that top that looks to be the main structure, are the struts and noggins below supportive or just for the board to fix to?

This makes the hall look bigger but the extra space will not be used as its right under the stair so will be re-building the stud wall a bit further back as it was to far infront of the main staircase post. With door of course

The edges of the stair (stringers) sit over this beam, the end of that beam looks like it is fixed to the newel post. The small timbers are not really big enough to provide structural support so it appears they have only the function of holding the building board in place.
Quite often small spaces like these were blocked up because of pets using the space to do their business.
You may also find it a struggle getting to the very back of the storage space having to empty 70% of what's in front, or do a kind of Tetris juggle but that's for you to decide upon.
If you are really looking for some neat storage ideas for stairs you could always try to do some tread drawers.
http://www.inhabitat.com/wp-content/uploads/stairstorage.jpg

Sponsored Links
LOL tread drawers look cool.

Didn't bother breaking under the second part of the stairs as urbanite said - a lot of stuff to move to get to the stuff stored in that area.

Fraame build and door fitted, just to find handle that girtlfriend likes :rolleyes:

And its full of my cak already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back