Eb fault code on Viessman 200 boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I keep getting an error message on my viessman boiler. Fault Eb, which the manual says is something like "repeated failure to drawn down sufficent heat'

If I keep resetting the unit eventually it starts up okay and then runs alright for a few days before coming up with the same error

It seems to me that perhaps the main burner isn't lighting? When trying to clear the fault it makes lots of fan noises and various clicking noises, as if its trying to light the burner, giving up, doing a purge and then starting again.

I also get a faint whiff of gas from the exhaust outside when it starts up, is that normal? Seems to me that it's taking a few seconds for the gas to ignite even when it's working normally

It's just out of warranty, so I'm hoping its not going to be an expensive problem!

Sponsored Links
Properly installed they have mostly been a five year warranty.

If its an ignition/combustion problem then we don't give advice to DIYers on here.

Normal suggestion is to get a competent boiler engineer.

Have you had it serviced annually since installation?

Tony

Hi Tony

I've got someone coming to look next hopefully, the boiler is serviced every year but is now 6 years old. It's had quite a few problems since installation sadly, I think it was the first incarnation of the Viessman 200

Don't worry I would never touch it myself, although I am interested in how these things work I stay away from anything that burns gas! I really just wanted to know if this is gonna cost me an arm and a leg or not. I guess I'll find out soon enough...

Its difficult to guess what it may cost to fix.

The diagnostic charge might be £84 but it could be almost anything wrong including the PCB which are about £200.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Just thought I'd update on this as I know many people post problems but less people post the causes once they are fixed.

Had the plumber round and he diagnosed a restriction in the pipework. Found the flow pipe was almost completely blocked, this led to the flow temperature sensor responding very slowly when the boiler fired up, making it think that there was insufficient heat being produced by the boiler. It also meant that my radiators weren't getting hot (i hadn't noticed as this was before the cold spell).

He powerflushed the system, repiped some bits that had a lot of elbows, and replaced the pump which was rattling (overloaded from having to work so hard?)

System seems to be working fine now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back