Ebay staircase ?

M

marsaday

A joiner looks like he has let me down on building me 2 new staircases and so i am trying to sort something out. Time is not a problem, but i just want to sort it all. I have bought all the newel posts and spindles etc from howdens and this joiner was going to use these neweel post and put them on the staircases.

Now i am thinking of ordering 2 straight flights off ebay and then get a joiner to put the newel posts on, on site.

Is it ok to do this or should it all be done when the stairs are being made ?

Does anyone know any joiners who make stairs here in York and will fit ?

I cannot use a york company as they are far too expensive and the joiner i had was from leeds.

All prices in york for the 2 staircases (6 and 7 steps) are pretty much the same so i realise they all charge the same prices irrespective of demand it seems. prices in mdf are £600-700.

Now on ebay i can get the same made in softwood for £300-400 (even less in mdf). So this is what i am aiming for. I know the fitting will take 2 days and i am happy to pay the daily rate, plus i want to help so i can learn what is going on. I have built my loft conversion pretty much myself so i know what i am doing.

Any thought? Should i not use an ebay joiner to make them ? anyone know someone free in york ?

Sponsored Links
what ever you do avoid mdf staircases!!!!!!!!

I am a flooring retailer and my fitters hate them - it is almost impossible to install carpets without damaging them!

1/ you cannot use nails to fix the gripper so they have to be glued (so what happens if you ever need to remove the gripper?)

2/ how can you chisel a carpet in place bearing in mind 1? above????

...stick to traditional materials!!!!!

A joiner looks like he has let me down on building me 2 new staircases and so i am trying to sort something out. Time is not a problem, but i just want to sort it all. I have bought all the newel posts and spindles etc from howdens and this joiner was going to use these neweel post and put them on the staircases.

Now i am thinking of ordering 2 straight flights off ebay and then get a joiner to put the newel posts on, on site.

Is it ok to do this or should it all be done when the stairs are being made ?

Does anyone know any joiners who make stairs here in York and will fit ?

I cannot use a york company as they are far too expensive and the joiner i had was from leeds.

All prices in york for the 2 staircases (6 and 7 steps) are pretty much the same so i realise they all charge the same prices irrespective of demand it seems. prices in mdf are £600-700.

Now on ebay i can get the same made in softwood for £300-400 (even less in mdf). So this is what i am aiming for. I know the fitting will take 2 days and i am happy to pay the daily rate, plus i want to help so i can learn what is going on. I have built my loft conversion pretty much myself so i know what i am doing.

Any thought? Should i not use an ebay joiner to make them ? anyone know someone free in york ?

I had a flight of stairs made by Kevin Parsons in Hull, who also trade on eBay as TKStairs. They do MDF and/or timber, mine was all in timber, not dirt cheap but nothing wrong with it. I fitted it myself with the help of a neighbour. I have no connection with them other than that.

Cheers
Richard

your thinking of buying a staircase off of ebay? says it all and from previous posts from oneself, believe me when i say this. You aint got a frigging clue at what your doing other then being turned on by the queen in her early days.

Sponsored Links

I am a flooring retailer and my fitters hate them - it is almost impossible to install carpets without damaging them!

1/ you cannot use nails to fix the gripper so they have to be glued (so what happens if you ever need to remove the gripper?)

why can you not nail a gripper to mdf

why can you not nail a gripper to mdf

Edit to add - by the way if a carpet isnt chiselled in properly, the carpet will usually end up very loose (and therefore very dangerous!!!)
If you have ever seen a fitter doing this you will know just how hard he has to hit that bolster to tighten up the carpet

Not a chippy so can`t answer that....

BUT....

in alot of newer staircases they have an mdf tread and 6mm ply riser :eek:

...they also seem to come covered in stickers forbidding using nails

...also we have noticed that the action of chiselling in the carpet seems to split the tread off the riser unless very great care is taken.
Finally we are getting an increasing number of complaints that stairs creak after carpet installation

All in all another example of progress actually regressing us :rolleyes:

BUT....

in alot of newer staircases they have an mdf tread and 6mm ply riser :eek:

...they also seem to come covered in stickers forbidding using nails

...also we have noticed that the action of chiselling in the carpet seems to split the tread off the riser unless very great care is taken.
Finally we are getting an increasing number of complaints that stairs creak after carpet installation

All in all another example of progress actually regressing us :rolleyes:

The riser is nailed to the tread, if the gripper is nailed to the riser it pushes the nails out and the tread flexes too much, our risers are now screwed to the treads from the back - stops the squeaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back