eBus and 230v in same cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will this end in tears? Only cable between boiler (Glow Worm Flexicom sx) and wiring centre is a 5 core currently carrying 230v L, R, N, spare and earth. Looking to change to SWC2 and ClimaPro2 RF with the outdoor sensor.

I'd like to repurpose the R and spare as 24V eBus but not entirely happy about potential interference from the 240V in the same cable, having never used eBus before. How tolerant is it to noise?

Running a separate cable is near enough impossible (boiler and cylinder separated by three floors and most of a house). Tempted to order the bits to try it and return if no success, but not entirely convinced about "unusual" problems further down the road.

Cheers,

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Will this end in tears?

Yes.
Data should be 2-core screened twisted pair, but I'm not familiar with that device.
I've only once tried to run data cable with mains (screened data cable, on an existing mains cable tray), I won't try it again; no data at all besides a perfect sine wave.

Can you not go fully wifi as an alternative to hard cabling?

Can you not go fully wifi as an alternative to hard cabling?

I could, but one of the benefits of using the Glow Worm kit is that the boiler can modulate the heat output.

Have also been looking at the Honeywell evoHome kit, but it's not a cheap setup.

Sponsored Links
Glowworm and Vaillant are the same company. I understood GW to be a 'cheaper' Vaillant, ie basically the same boiler! Depends on model I suppose.

Vaillant do a wifi version of their weather compensating programmer/thermostat which connects into the Vaillant ebus using a wifi receiver at the boiler.

Could it be the same system is in use? Therefore could you use Vaillant parts?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back