Glow worm boiler with smart centre - complex problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several qualified people trying to install the following system which currently only gives DHW - no CH.

Glow worm Flexicom 35 HX
Smart wiring centre
Climapro RF 2

being fitted to my existing plumbing containing:

i) Honeywell V4073 motorised valve
ii) Honeywell L641A cylinder stat.

The boiler replaced a working system (Ideal Elan II with analog controller for either DHW or DHW/CH) that is too small for a new extension that has been built.

The problem is that it doesn't respond to a CH demand from the Climapro, but does respond to DHW demand. The new equipment was first installed nearly two weeks ago using the existing wiring. When the CH is due to come on, nothing happens. Switching on the DHW on the Climapro results in firing of the boiler and pump and the water in the cylinder heats up until it reaches temp as per the cylinder stat - so the DHW works fine. As a temporary measure I have been able to open the valve using the manual switch so that the rads get a bit of heat but this only lasts until the DHW gets to temperature (about 20 minutes or 35 minutes if I turn up the cylinder stat). Setting the L2 d70 setting on the boiler to 0 or 1 does not remedy the problem. If the DHW hasn't reached temperature and I set the d70 setting to 2 (CH only test mode) then the valve rotates all the way to supply radiators only and the radiators stay on happily until I change back the d70 setting to 0 or 1 (which results in the cylinder getting to temperature). During the setting 2 CH only test mode the wiring centre does not respond to the Climapro thermostat, once the DHW timer goes off everything stops (even if the boiler is in CH only test mode).

Glow worm engineer came out on first visit and found the wiring to the smart centre had been done correctly but the eBUS cabling should be separate to the live wires (to rule out interference). My electrician did this the same day - this did not remedy the problem.

Next Glow worm replaced all electronics - new smart wiring centre, new antenna and new climapro RF 2 thermostat/controller with very latest firmware installed. They also replaced all the electronics in the boiler itself. The problem remained. Confirmed that the cylinder stat works and the motorised valve is able to move to all positions.

The Glow worm troubleshooter came along and unplugged those wires that lead to the valve - one of them was found to be live when unplugged (can't remember which one) - which shouldn't happen and also one of the eBUS wires was found to have a small residual charge. He recommended to start again with the wiring - install fresh wiring as the existing may have been damaged during plastering etc… - although they haven't found to be faulty he additionally recommended to replace the valve and cylinder stat.

So the old wiring was completely ripped out yesterday and new wiring was laid from the cylinder cupboard (which houses smart wiring centre, antenna, valve) to the boiler and within the cylinder cupboard. Still the same problem - only responds to DHW demand - makes no effort for CH which only works for unlimited time if I switch to setting 2 CH only test mode (providing the DHW is set to ON on the Climapro).

The only thing to do next is to install a new valve and cylinder stat which I'm reluctant to do as I've been told they are both functional. Anyone out there able to give clues as to what is going wrong? - would be much appreciated

To confirm wiring setup in smart wiring centre from left:

"230V" Yellow/brown, blue brown "CYL" Brown, Brown "CH"Yellow/brown, blue, white "DHW" Grey (=OFF), Orange (=ON) and further along eBUS wires are plugged in.

Thanks,

Bakerbloke.

Sponsored Links
Did anyone check the wiring in/to/from the cylinder stat?

There can be a lot of difference between being qualified and being good at problem solving.

Who is paying for all this recabling?

Tony

I don't know but it is doing it's job in switching off when the water gets to temp. One engineer was concerned that it doesn't meet any resistance when you turn it all the way round with a screwdriver - you can just keep turning it but despite this it heats the water to whatever temp you set.

Two brown wires come from the smart centre to the cylinder stat. The cylinder stat contains three terminals - C, 1 and 2. The brown wires are connected to C and 1. There is nothing connected to 2.

Thanks,

Bakerbloke

Sponsored Links
Two brown wires come from the smart centre to the cylinder stat. The cylinder stat contains three terminals - C, 1 and 2. The brown wires are connected to C and 1. There is nothing connected to 2.
What is connected to the same terminal as the valve grey wire?

It looks like the grey wire from the valve goes to the DHW off terminal in the smart wiring centre.

if you have a multi meter check to see if you have 230vac at the ch on terminal in the smart centre, that will tell you if your rf stat is working or not, in the installation instructions for the rf it shows a link between 24v and ov on the boiler cartridge, is this link in place ?

My electrician says that the White wire coming from the CH ON has never had a current going through it from the smart centre. If he takes the White wire out and applies a voltage then the valve opens. Regarding the 24v to 0v this is not known - he thinks the glow worm people would have checked this and the fact that data regarding the DHW is going between the smart centre and boiler, he seems to think that eBUS should be ok.

what symbol is showing on the display on the programmer ?

It is the radiator symbol. Regarding eBUS there are just two terminals - "eBUS" and "0v" in the flexicom boiler.

Cheers.

Shouldn't you be telling him that he should have three wires connected to the cylinder stat?

Bakerbloke said:
D_Hailsham said:
Bakerbloke said:
It looks like the grey wire from the valve goes to the DHW off terminal in the smart wiring centre.
Agile said:
Shouldn't you be telling him that he should have three wires connected to the cylinder stat?
One step at a time! If the OP also has the external sensor the valve should be a diverter, not a mid-position. You can "cheat" by wiring white and grey together. This could explain the absence of the wire from HW stat 2. The OP's reply above suggests that he does not have the external sensor, so the valve needs to be wired as a conventional mid-position.

But:

picasso said:
only 2 wires for the cylinder stat are needed.
Why's that - it's a V4073? Does the Smart wiring centre do something clever? Why do Glow-worm not publish any instructions for the SWC??? :mad:

External sensor - do you mean the outdoor sensor? - I don't have this sensor just the Climapro remote unit.

What would happen if the Grey wire from the valve (=DHW off) was connected to terminal 2 of the cylinder stat instead of the smart wiring centre? Is it worth a try?

Thank you all for your ongoing efforts.

Bakerbloke.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back