Glow worm boiler with smart centre - complex problems.

the swc runs on the same basics as the vaillant vr65
Ah, I see. It assumes that, if the cylinder stat is not calling for heat, then it must be satisfied. But what about a wire from the Programmer HW OFF to the valve grey? Where has that gone to?

Useful link, by the way.:cool: ;)

Sponsored Links
the position of the 3 port is controlled by the programmer through the ebus connection, the swc needs its own 240v supply so I assume the electronics in the swc control the switching and movement of the valve.

Some more information.

I can confirm that the climapro and antenna are sending CH signals via EBUS.

If I switch on DHW overide on climapro:

Signal sent (as observed by single flash on antenna circuit board). Signal picked up by boiler (diagnostic code 25 - "hot water activation via ebus" switches from 0 to 1). Then boiler heats up.

Switch off DHW on climapro and switch heating on:

Nothing happens because temp is higher than target temp. Take the climapro outside and the temp on the remote unit drops below target temperature and signal sent (as observed by single red flash on antenna circuit board) BUT the boiler never receives/interprets this signal (diagnostic code 10 - "external controls heat demand" - never switches from 0 to 1).

For the flexicom it is possible to access the state list which on the manual goes from s.00 to s.08. My flexicom reads s.30 which doesn't appear on the list. I remember hearing the glow worm engineers scratching their heads over this. State s.30 was there before and after replacement of the boiler circuit board.

To recap the valve is fully opened when CH test mode is selected on boiler - so the boiler is capable of sending a CH open signal to the smart centre. But it never responds to the climapro thermostat - even so I can see the climapro is sending the signal when temp goes below target temp.

So it seems that the boiler is not reading a CH demand via eBUS from the antenna when it is sent. The boiler has had a main circuit board replacement a few days ago which made no difference. However, the eBUS cables enter the boiler in a different place to firstly another set of electronics in a black cartridge.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Having just fitted some Vaillant controls, I think I may know what the problem is! :D

The Smart Wiring Centre needs a "link wire" between L & R on the boiler, it's shown in the installation instructions in Diagram 4.3 / Page 6. Have you fitted this link cable?

On a Vaillant boiler (which seems to be using similar electronics (same codes)), "S.30 = No heating demand from external controls (clamp 3-4 open)" 3-4 is the location of the link cable on a Vaillant! ;)

Hi,

Having just fitted some Vaillant controls, I think I may know what the problem is! :D

The Smart Wiring Centre needs a "link wire" between L & R on the boiler, it's shown in the installation instructions in Diagram 4.3 / Page 6. Have you fitted this link cable?

On a Vaillant boiler (which seems to be using similar electronics (same codes)), "S.30 = No heating demand from external controls (clamp 3-4 open)" 3-4 is the location of the link cable on a Vaillant! ;)

That makes sense, R is the switched live that would normally be used to start and stop the boiler. By making this permanently live all control of the boiler is handed over to the Ebus.

Except that without this link surely the HW wouldn't work either?

External sensor - do you mean the outdoor sensor? - I don't have this sensor just the Climapro remote unit.

What would happen if the Grey wire from the valve (=DHW off) was connected to terminal 2 of the cylinder stat instead of the smart wiring centre? Is it worth a try?

This would not be a good idea. As has been already said the valve is fully controlled by the 'smart wiring centre/boiler/Ebus system'. I wouldn't cross connect inputs and outputs and there is no logic to doing this anyway.

Link wire - makes sense - you would have thought that the glow worm people would have checked this on one of their visits - on the other hand they were scratching their heads over the s.30 thing.

I'll keep you posted.

I don't see why the orange wire is used at all in this setup.

You could try setting d.70 to '0' and wiring the white and grey wires to 'CH on'. Disconnect the orange wire. This will set the valve up as a diverter valve.

This should set the boiler to either CH or DHW, but not both at the same time. With no power to the valve it is setup for HW flow. Power to white and grey gives CH flow. This would be a hybrid of the setup shown in fig 4.5 for two zone valves, but using the sprung return on the diverter valve to give you HW flow.

I'm not sure that this would be a final fix, but it could help you understand the problem.

I cant see the point of moving the wiring in the swc, the op has said there is no power on ch demand terminal when stat calls for heat, he would be better to find out why, the fact that the hot water works suggests that the clima pro is connected properly, I would check that all the wires in the swc are actually making contact and that the polarity is correct.

I cant see the point of moving the wiring in the swc, the op has said there is no power on ch demand terminal when stat calls for heat, he would be better to find out why, the fact that the hot water works suggests that the clima pro is connected properly, I would check that all the wires in the swc are actually making contact and that the polarity is correct.

I can't see where he said he was getting 240V on the 'CH on' terminal? My suggestion is a way of eliminating any input from the orange 'hold' wire and any interaction of the 'd.70' DHW priority or mid position setting

Have the 3-4 terminals been checked yet?

It would be normal for the boiler to be supplied with a link on these already in place.

If it were not then someone would have intentionally removed them.

Tony

dumbrill";p="1942134 said:
I can't see where he said he was getting 240V on the 'CH on' terminal? My suggestion is a way of eliminating any input from the orange 'hold' wire and any interaction of the 'd.70' DHW priority or mid position setting

neither can I

what do you mean by orange hold wire ?

agile this isint a vaillant and would the boiler fire for hot water if a link was required ?

I do know that its not a Vaillant.

But I dont know if it would fire for DHW if that link is removed when its under the Ebus control.

In the absence of any other good suggestions I am surprised that the OP has not already checked if there is a link or not.

What this posting does demonstrate is that the instructions for controllers leave a lot of questions unanswered if D Hailsham cannot find the answer!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back