Glow worm boiler with smart centre - complex problems.

Sponsored Links
you need to use the cylinder sensor. said it before, will prob have to say it again before it sinks in

sorry Mick I have to disagree, It just uses a normal stat (NTC/PTC capability would be useful though)
I'm still with UPGRADEME on this one

Matt

Link wire was put in yesterday - he opened up the front of the boiler and once he got the cover off it took about 20 seconds to put in.

Everything working perfectly. Thanks for your suggestions about how to get some form of compensation for forking out for this rewiring.

Sponsored Links
And what did I say on page 4?
What's the betting that it turns out to be something very simple, which everyone has overlooked?
OK, so the possibility of the link being missing was suggested by several contributors. But the men at the coal-face completely overlooked what should have been checked if they had gone about their job in a logical way.

Make sure you get your money back for the unnecessary rewiring and compensation for wasting your time.

I'm still with UPGRADEME on this one

Looks like we were spot on Matt! ;) - I first suggested the link wire back on page 2 as I noticed that it was very poorly documented in the Glowworm manuals but highlighted in the Vaillant ones. DH suggested I was barking up the wrong tree and many other RGI's (and Vaillant Group engineers) didn't agree with me...

If you don't know what your looking at/for, being at the 'coal face' as DH suggests is no better than being sat behind a PC. I was discussing with PVM, technology will come into this industry, this thread shows the importance of how clear documentation is required to educate even 'professionals' / 'engineers'.

OP: glad that your've now sorted it! - I would suggest that you check what d.70 is currently set at (I would suggest 0) then check the other settings if you are aware of any other changes the engineers made?

I think the blame culture needs to be carefully considered in this case.

Whilst I dont know about your boiler, all those that I have ever fitted have those terminals linked when the boiler is suppled. Does anyone know if this applies to this G-W model? If thats the case then someone has removed it for some reason!

Probably regardless the G-W engineers should have checked and discovered this. As they did not and instead advised replacing the wiring then there is a good argument that you are due to be paid the cost of that by G-W.

Claims against boiler manufacturers are very rare and successful ones even rarer. If, as I suspect, the link was wrongly removed during the installation then that might be considered to make the situation more complicated as the underlying cause becomes with the installers.

It seems the installation was split between boiler installer and electrician which further confuses who might have been responsible for removing the link.

This situation just serves to demonstrate to me that the general level of competence within our industry is too low.

Tony

Does anyone know if this applies to this G-W model? If thats the case then someone has removed it for some reason!

Looking through the MI, the link cable is supplied with the SWC which suggests it's not installed in GW boilers from new (plus the boiler MI don't request you remove the cable like they do on the Vaillant if fitting normal controls).

On the Vaillant the link cable is NOT supplied with the VR65 (equilivent to the SWC) but is installed in the boiller from new as you suggest.

So, in the OP's case I don't think anyone 'removed' the cable and it's down to the poor documentation of both the missing S.30 info and lack of explanation for the link cable.

DH suggested I was barking up the wrong tree
Not about the link being missing, which you were the first to mention, but about the possibility of "test mode" ignoring the missing link.

D_Hailsham said:
UpgradeME said:
D_Hailsham said:
1. If there was no link between L and R on the boiler, it would not run at all.
Not even in test mode? - It looks like the OP has been running boiler test modes which may over-ride some 'normal' functionality!?
However I do think UpgradeME is barking up the wrong tree as the OP appears to have only used test mode as a test, the problem occurs in normal mode.

I'm pretty sure that some Glow Worm boilers such as my Flexicom 35hx does not come with the link wire installed and there is no mention of it in the boiler installation instructions. I think the small link wire comes with the smart wiring centre pack.

"I think the small link wire comes with the smart wiring centre pack."

along with the instructions and a picture where to put it. if your installers
choose to ignore them thats up to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back