Glow worm boiler with smart centre - complex problems.

sound reasoning and I agree with the above on all points

however another possibility is that there is still a live/cable connected to terminal R (which is incorrect for eBUS) and somehow only live when there is HW demand.

yes as already mentioned this is what my money is on too, perhaps the origonal extra core has been connected back in to
a)the boiler and
b)in with the orange or one of the cyl stat connections in the wiring centre

d.25 is a status code... i.e. it's read only

d codes are diagnostic codes and are changable, are you thinking of s codes ?

d 70 is user changable
The initial start-up of the Smart Wiring Centre controls is
carried out together with the initial start-up of the boiler.
NOTE: In the factory settings, the boiler operation is set to
Hot Water priority
1. Flexicom: Press “MODE” and “+” buttons simultaneously
for 5 seconds. The display shows “0”.
Ultracom: Press “MODE” for 5 seconds. The display
shows “0”.
2. Use the “+” or “-” buttons (Ultracom use the heating control
“+” or “-” button) to scroll through to number 35.
3. Press “MODE”.
4. Use the “+” or “-” buttons to scroll through to diagnostic
number d.70.
5. Press “MODE”.
6. Change the setting using the “+” and “-” buttons. Refer to
Table 1 Boiler settings, for the most appropriate setting for the
specific application.
7. Save the new value by pressing “MODE”.
8. To leave the diagnostic menu press and hold “MODE” until
the running screen is displayed again.
The following settings are possible
0 = hotwater piority (default)
1 = mid pos
2 = ch test mode

a photo of the wiring centre would be a help too
Matt

edited to remove errorous statements by me :oops:

Sponsored Links
If the link is in place then I think d.8 should be permanently displaying 1

Sound reasoning, however having just checked my Vaillant (which does have the said link) d.8 is currently displaying 0

lots of educated guessing going on, unfortunately there isint enough information either from the op or glowworm to really work out an answer, looks like we,ll have to wait till its sorted before we find out.

Sponsored Links

no if ebus is controlling heating then it will still be 0 when off
perhaps updateme could confirm what d8 is whilst heating is on, on his vailiant

all this kit is plug and play, you should not need to touch or alter any of the d codes. Did you get a cylinder sensor with the smart wiring centre? you should fit this

no if ebus is controlling heating then it will still be 0 when off
perhaps updateme could confirm what d8 is whilst heating is on, on his vailiant

Okay, d.8 = 1 when the heating is scheduled to be on, regardless of if there is demand or not from the room thermostat. It just happened that I checked during a DHW ON time, as d.70 is set to 0 (Hot water priority) and DHW was scheduled to be ON d.8 was showing 0.

Earlier in this thread the OP said:

BakerBloke said:
Take the climapro outside and the temp on the remote unit drops below target temperature and signal sent (as observed by single red flash on antenna circuit board) BUT the boiler never receives/interprets this signal (diagnostic code 10 - "external controls heat demand" - never switches from 0 to 1).

[UpgradeME: I think code 10 is a typo and should be code 8]

For the flexicom it is possible to access the state list which on the manual goes from s.00 to s.08. My flexicom reads s.30 which doesn't appear on the list.

Perhaps the OP can re-check d.8 on his Glowworm with heating scheduled ON, d.70 set to 1 and report back? On the Vaillant "d.8=External controls heat demand (terminals 3-4) -- 0 = open (no heat request) 1 = closed (heat request)"

I'm not sure if this will prove conclusively either way but if d.8 does equal 0, it add's to the missing link cable argument! :)

all this kit is plug and play, you should not need to touch or alter any of the d codes. Did you get a cylinder sensor with the smart wiring centre? you should fit this

If it's anything like the Vaillant, you DO need to alter the d.codes to match it to your premises and work effeciently! However, as you say, it should still 'work' with the default d.codes.

With regards to the "cylinder sensor", if you are referring to a similar NTC as the VR10 supplied with the Vaillant VR65, that's not supplied with the Smart Wiring Center, the wiring diagram also shows the NTC connection as "do not use" so doesn't look like NTC's are 'supported' by Glowworm.

Been following this thread with interest, at the end of the day all this crap is what comes from manufacturers trying to be too clever, FFS it's a Y plan, why all this ebus crappamro *******s, just think how much this would be costing the customer if it was out of warranty, which is what ?12 months.

Interested to know after all this what the actual problem is.

Been following this thread with interest, at the end of the day all this crap is what comes from manufacturers trying to be too clever, FFS it's a Y plan, why all this ebus crappamro ****, just think how much this would be costing the customer if it was out of warranty, which is what ?12 months.

Interested to know after all this what the actual problem is.

Coming from a product development background (in PC/consumer electronics) personally I think the whole boiler/central heating is way behind the times of what technology could bring! - I would like full control of all my *existing* radiators, with temperatures /schedules set using my smart phone via WiFi. As a consumer I want the room(s) heated to my liking and schedule without multiple zone vales or exotic plumbing. As a professional product developer I *know* this is possible to acheive but none of the CH companies have got it anywhere near right yet.

My Vaillant boiler allows me to connect up to my PC, currently via their vrDIALOG over a USB connection or GSM with vrNETDIALOG (it uses a mobile phone sim card). However, looking through the Vaillant software dB's, I spotted they are developing (perhaps currently testing) other ways of connecting to their boilers using Powerline and WiFi networking (instead of USB or GSM). For me that's great, I could then monitor my boiler and perhaps change my room thermostat/controls from my PC/Smartphone wirelessly using standard PC equipment! :)

All this s-plan/y-plan/w-plan wiring should/will be a thing of the past, in order to move into the 21st century boilers/controls will all need to move to eBUS type wiring IMHO.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN, welcome to the future of CH! ;)

yea, and sitting here my computer keeps crashing my shockwave plug in, w**k software, a Y plan problem could have been fixed 10 times over by now and cost a lot less money, and OP left to get on with his life/hobbies with hot water and a warm house, all these so called experts running round in their vehicles is reeeeeeaaaaallly saving the planet.

Windows, 95, 98 ,Millenium blah blah blah, it's all ****e, I'm running the latest crap which is suppose to be soooooo good, yea ,thats why it' crashes everytime I try to get photo's off my phone onto PC, such a complicated task in this oh so fantastic 21st century, bloody latest printer cant even print in the same place on the page each time, from the same unaltered document, well you might get all the other muppets to fall for all this crap, but not me, I have hot water and a warm house, that is if the PCB doesn't have a w**k attack and cost me another £250.00

Maybe you would like to keep going back to the old lady up the road "FREE OF CHARGE" to explain "AGAIN" how to get central heating twice a day on her Nokia designed **** Glowworm remote, because she as hell can't understand the damn thing.

Nation of Arseholes.

Maybe you would like to keep going back to the old lady up the road "FREE OF CHARGE" to explain "AGAIN" how to get central heating twice a day on her Nokia designed **** Glowworm remote, because she as hell can't understand the damn thing.

That's the beauty of 21st century technology, you won't need to go around, you can do it for her over the internet using your PC/Smartphone connecting to her shiny new vrNETDIALOG interface! Simples ;)

I believe the issue in this thread is a lack of training / understanding of how the technology works by the 'pros', coupled with poor documentation from the manufacture.

yea, and sitting here my computer keeps crashing my shockwave plug in, w**k software, a Y plan problem could have been fixed 10 times over by now and cost a lot less money, and OP left to get on with his life/hobbies with hot water and a warm house, all these so called experts running round in their vehicles is reeeeeeaaaaallly saving the planet.

Windows, 95, 98 ,Millenium blah blah blah, it's all s***te, I'm running the latest crap which is suppose to be soooooo good, yea ,thats why it' crashes everytime I try to get photo's off my phone onto PC, such a complicated task in this oh so fantastic 21st century, bloody latest printer cant even print in the same place on the page each time, from the same unaltered document, well you might get all the other muppets to fall for all this crap, but not me, I have hot water and a warm house, that is if the PCB doesn't have a w**k attack and cost me another £250.00

Nation of a*******s.

How true. :mrgreen: ........& if you loose yer phone.. :eek: :eek: :mrgreen:

She hasn't got a fekkin PC.

She doesn't need one, check out Vaillant's Intelligent Service ;)

joinerjohn said:
I have to get a grandkid to come round and set my dvd player up for me. I certainly wouldn't want computer control over my heating ;) ;) ;)

Which is true of many people in the UK, however, what about when your kids/grandkids grow up... or many of the younger generation who are computer literate, they like me would *want* to control their heating via their PC/Smartphone...:cool:

FWIW, I can't remember the last time any of my PC's crashed... yes I am an "expert" so know how to use and setup my technology; as a technology product developer, the key is to make the setup 'fool proof' to prevent the crashes and NOT require an 'expert' to set them up.

As I said, the CH industry is well behind the times technology wise, gas smart meters are "coming soon", technology is creeping in but very slowly. If you look at cars as an example, a few years ago a "mechanic" was someone that needed to "diagnose" problems in a totally different way to how they do now on modern cars, which are all controlled by "computers". ;) - Today he connects his notebook to the cars BUS and can diagnose and tune performance electronically.

RGI's *will* need to learn new skills to keep up as technology creeps into your industry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back