echo channel drainage system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I would like some advice on "echo channel drainage system" please.

I am in process of buying a 3 bed semi, and the seller has recently done a block paving on front garden. It is about 30 square meters. Now, the local council has approved the seller's application to construct a vehicle crossing, but on some conditions. One of conditions is

"The new block paving has no surface drainage system abutting the highway. An echo channel drainage system requires installing as there is a steady fall from the building to the highway. This work must be carried out before the vehicle crossing is constructed."

My questions are
1. What kind of "echo channel drainage system" the council requires?

2. If there is not a soakaway, Where should the channel drainage terminate to? is channel drainage connect to an existing surface water drain acceptable to Council?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
it is "echo". May be "echo" is another name for "channel drainage", I hear someone says this on youtube. thank you.

Sponsored Links
I think they mean ACO not echo! The drain can drain onto the ground inside the property, or a new suitable soakaway or a watercourse, in that order. Only if a soakaway is not practical from a location or existing ground condtions point of view will drainnig into the existing sewers be acceptable https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/15/drains_and_sewers/2
Thank you for the reply and link! The seller has just done it, he put some channel drainage like ACO one at edge of driveway next to pavement, but I do not know where it discharge rainwater from channel drainage. Looks it has connected to existing drain/sewer, so it looks OK.

Does the local Council come out to check if channel drainage is in place and met regulations?

They probably will check, as the vehicle crossing has to be constructed to their specifications too, by an approved contractor. However, the reason behind not draining the driveway onto the highway is to avoid further overloading of the sewerage system. if the channel drain has been connected to the surface water sewer without the Council's knowledge or permission, then they may not agree to it, particularly if the ground is suitable for a soakaway.

The whole purpose of SUDS, (Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems), is to design drainage so to put the water back into the environment at a speed relative to that taken if it had fallen onto naked earth. A soakway will assist in achieving that.

Thanks Hugh!

Thanks for clarification!

The current owner has just constructed dropped kerbs and installed channel drainage at same time.

The problem is, as long as current owner (seller) use the council approved accredited contractor to do drop kerbs work, the council do not check the dropped kerbs.

But installing a channel drainage system on driveway is part of condition by local county council before current owner allow to construct a vehicle crossing. How does council know if the exist owner has done the drain system correctly without checking?

How do I protect myself as new owner of the house if in future Local County Council find out the drain system does not meet government regulations? Should I report to council say the drain system may be not correctly installed? or buy an indemnity insurance? It is a bit tricky now. Anyone has experience on this?

I am in Kent area if that helps.

Thank you

When I've done dropped kerbs before (or at least applied for them on behalf of clients) the council will determine the extent of the new dropped kerb by marking on the pavement and photographing it or marking it on their own photos, once the approved installer has completed the job the council is informed (by the approved inspector) and the job is then inspected by the local authority. Otherwise people would be bunging some extra cash to the approved inspectors to make it wider, do this or do that.

I would be getting the drain system checked as part of the survey/conditions of buying the house, and get the answer given the ok by the appropriate authorities first. If there is a problem you either knock the cost of sorting it off the purchase price, or seller sorts prior to sale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back