Eco-Joists- anyone here used them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently into a 3 bed newbuild, approaching chamber height & considering Eco-joists, particularly for a 4.5m span.
Anyone any experience with these?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
My p.c.'s OK with that as well. Perhaps Woody's is just hypersensitive, as he is. :)

You div. Its nothing to do with the PC, its the Chrome browser ... you know from Google, and installed on millions of PC's and the most popular and secure web browser in the world.

Stick to building related issues, no hang on, on second thoughts :rolleyes:

They're better for the bigger spans, I still stick with traditional timber for shorter lengths - they're very easy to use. From memory they come with a small amount of tolerance on either end of the beams so that you don;t end up cutting the web when trimming - nice and light.

They're popular with developers as it means no drilling for services and you can actually get bog pipes through them so within the floor depth depending on the lengths of pipe run of course. I've used them in a couple of extensions when the alternative was to have a bog pipe hanging off the ceiling. They do what they say but as with all these types of joist they're engineered down to the minimum so some bounce is inevitable when they're on their limit. If I was using them in my own house I'd up the size to minimise the bounce.

We never set them further apart than 450mm c/c.

Bigger spans require 'strongbacks'. No biggie, just a piece of 100mm x 50mm fixed to the dedicated upright noggs in the web. These must be taken into account though before any keen brickies decide to add a few ringer courses.

Very light and easy to move.

They must be orientated so that all the end web sections are rising and not falling.

No cutting all measured to fit.

Nice wide timber bearing area.

No need for acoustic inso'.

Fab for plumbers and leccy's especially those troublesome shower wastes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back