Economy 7 and removal of it?

MrS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a house has 2 meters, one is for normal and one is for economy 7 and a rewire is needed, does the electricity board have to come out and change it to a normal supply before work is started by an electrician? Will an electrician do a new installation and just use the current supply and recommend that it is upgraded?

If you can have a new rewire with the supply as it is, would just the normal electricity meter be used and the economy 7 be ingnored?

Sponsored Links
MrS said:
If a house has 2 meters, one is for normal and one is for economy 7 and a rewire is needed, does the electricity board have to come out and change it to a normal supply before work is started by an electrician? Will an electrician do a new installation and just use the current supply and recommend that it is upgraded?

If you can have a new rewire with the supply as it is, would just the normal electricity meter be used and the economy 7 be ingnored?

but there is already a normal supply there to start with...

im not sure. my old house had economy 7. there was 2 meters but i dont really know how it works. i thought the 2nd meter was only for the electric storage heaters. if the heaters are removed and a totally new install is to be done, do the electricity board come and change it so there is just one meter as normal, or is the 2nd meter just ignored which is for economy 7?

just ignore the economy 7 meter... altho youll have to either remove tils fro meter or put into an isolator so there not hangin round

Sponsored Links
thanks andy. i assume you would have to add an isolator switch then because the meter is sealed and to remove the tails you would have to break the seals.

MrS said:
thanks andy. i assume you would have to add an isolator switch then because the meter is sealed and to remove the tails you would have to break the seals.

yes. do it during the day and it should be dead... but still treat it as live incase it does come on

andy said:
MrS said:

yes. do it during the day and it should be dead... but still treat it as live incase it does come on

watch out for the afternoon boost on older off peak systems, check your bills to make sure you are on the correct tariff

i wouldn't trust the timeswitch system to make the system safe to work on especially if its a teleswitch that could be subject to radio interference etc

also the fuse will have to be pulled to isolate the main CU anyway may as well just do everything with it out.

And simply removing the tail from the meter is not good enough - Leaves a finger sized hole at the bottom ;)

Isolator switch it is then with the main fuse removed. Then there is the issue of removing the main fuse ;). Thanks

MrS said:
Isolator switch it is then with the main fuse removed. Then there is the issue of removing the main fuse ;). Thanks

if the seals are already broken or loose.... :rolleyes:

What's this got to do with reading up on BS 7671 prior to taking a 2381 course?

Are you sure you're not doing some kind of installation work for which you are not yet fully competent?

As you have two meters, sounds as if these are from the early days of storage heaters (pre "white meter"). At that time, the off peak was advertised as "half price", and had (sometimes?) an afternoon boost.

Later,(when white meters were introduced?), the low rate was more than half price, and new customers had to have this.
However, if you were still on two meters, with the "half price" heater tarif, the supplier could'nt insist on your changing over, as you (or your property?)
had a "contract" for the half price deal.
At that time, if you (or your property?) were lucky enough to be on two meters, and wanted storage heaters, it was usually best to stay on the half price tarif.
Whether this situation is still current I don't know, but it may be worth your while investigating if you were intending to have storage heaters.
As Crystal Ball advised, check your bills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back