economy 7 controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
any recommendations on which type to go for and price of such an item?
the horstmann e7bx is a bit dated looking!

edit: sorry for posting in plumbing area, wasn't 100% sure which way to go with it

Sponsored Links
brief explanation of what i am needing to know:

i have a cu connected to cheap rate via a radio timer and a cu connected to standard rate.

i assume a cable to capacity 3Kw (2.5mm) runs from both CU's to the "controller" then a single cable runs to the water heater.

so i have to use an economy 7 controller

or

i run a cable from cheap rate cu to a "controller" to allow the bottom element to heat during off peak.
then i run a cable from the standard rate cu to a booster switch and then on to the upper element to heat when pressed.

can i do this, which is best?

I would go with the second setup personally, then you will be doing all your water heating with off peak unless you need extra. Also with the second option you will still be able to have hot water if one of the elements / supplies fails (nice as an emergency backup).

i run a cable from cheap rate cu to a "controller" to allow the bottom element to heat during off peak.
then i run a cable from the standard rate cu to a booster switch and then on to the upper element to heat when pressed

ok if i go with this plan,

i know which booster switch.
but what type of controller should i use for the off peak control, any recommendations please?

Sponsored Links
A DP Switched 13amp Fuse-Connection unit fed from the economy seven will be perfect for the off peak circuit to the bottom element.

The economy seven supply only powers up in cheap rate hours to heat the hot water - leave the O/P E/7 FCU switched on all the time like I do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back