Economy 7 Heater - Fuse Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning All

I am looking for any help I can get please from people who actually have a clue who know what they are talking about. As opposed to my own knowledge which would fit on the back of a stamp to be fair :).

Basically I switched on the booster switch on our Economy 7 heater last week and it blew the fuse. The bottom element on the heater doesnt work and needs replacing so we just use the boost for 2 or 3 hours a day just to get hot water. I replaced the fuse and it did it again, then I replaced another one and it worked. So I assumed that the problem was sorted, unfortunately though it keeps doing it every time I switch the boost switch on, I am then blowing 4 or 5 fuses trying to get it to work then all of a sudden it will just go and the heater works again.

Now we had the element replaced last year, and the fact that it is heating the water is telling me that it isnt the problem. I got it working yesterday after about 6 fuses blowing, and I have just left it on until I can get somebody out to look at it for me. Is there anyway that there could be a fault in the thermostat on the heater. and that is causing it to blow somehow?

Also I know Im going to have to get somebody out to have a look at it, can anybody reccomend anybody in the East London/Essex area who could do a job like this who wont charge the earth to do it. Last year when I got the element it took ages for the tank to drain and the guy charged me £330 for the privilege.

Im sorry for the long post, I just wanted to explain what exactly was happening. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
from the description I'd say the element may be cracked and getting damp..
the first 4-5 fuses provide enough energy to heat the element a little each time and drive the damp out so that it eventually works..

get come connector block and disconnect the cable from the element and put it in terminal blocks to isolate it, then put the fuse back in.. if it doesn't blow then it's the element..

Thank you for your reply ColJack

That wasnt something Id even considered to be honest, Ill have to try this tonight and see if it makes a difference.

Thank you again

Sponsored Links
No sorry I dont think I made myself clear with that part in my original message. The element at the bottom has been broken for nearly two years or so. The top element, the boost one is the one that we use and that is the one Im having problems with. That was last replaced about 18 months ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back