Economy 7 Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a property with Economy 7 and have a few issues. I have only ever had Gas central heating before and am a bit lost.

Firstly does E7 have a thermostat like you would find in a gas heated place ?

My Emergen heater works fine, however whenever I try to set the timer the clock does not rotate allowing this to work and switch over. When rotating the dial switch around the on/off for the timer switches but the clock doesn't actually rotate.

The timer is a TS900B identical to this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timeguard-TS900B-Immersion-Heater-Controller/dp/B00BONIKDQ

Also I cannot for the life of me get my radiators to work.

There is one power switch for the radiators, that I have turned on and left like this for 48 hours yet still no heat comes form it.

I have checked my fuse box and everything is fine there.

Any ideas of what I should do, as I think its a fairly straight forward thing but for the life of me cannot figure it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Lots of pictures of the fuse box / consumer unit area may help.

Do you have 2 fuse boxes ? Is the 2nd switched on ?

It sounds like something is switched off !

Do you have hot water? When you rotate the timer, to the on/off position, does the orange light come on? do you get a blue spark?

Thanks for the reply Andy.

I will upload pictures this eve, once i get back from work.
I have a number of boxes in my cupboard.

One that looks like your standard fuse box.

One below that that i can push a button on and display my different night-time rates etc.

One above the fuse box that states "heating" however this makes no difference when on/off the radiators stilll do not warm.

Would I have to have all of them in the house turned on ? to complete the circuit ?

I'm not to sure with regards to the timer, will check this out later.

Thanks again

One above the fuse box that states "heating" however this makes no difference when on/off the radiators stilll do not warm.

You will need this one turned on! and it will have needed to be switched ON at night for the heaters to work.

May as well turn all the heaters on, and make sure their controls are not on the minimum settings

Sponsored Links
Thanks again :)

This is going to sound like a right silly question. but......

When an electrical switch is "on" should the "on" label be displayed or the "off" label ?

Like I said silly question.

This is going to sound like a right silly question. but...... When an electrical switch is "on" should the "on" label be displayed or the "off" label ? ... Like I said silly question.
Well, you said it :) Needless to say, 'on' means 'on'!

Kind Regards, John

Lol I know donut ;)

In regards to the heater should I leave the emergency heater on all the time? Would this power the timer ?

Immersion heater?

Obviously the clock should be going round all the time. I assume there is a switch next to the timer? Is this switched on? probably needs to be for the clock & water heater to work.

Pics should help

Lol I know donut ;) ... In regards to the heater should I leave the emergency heater on all the time? Would this power the timer ?
That doesn't sound very likely, but who knows?! As has been said, some pics may at least give us some clue as to what is going on, or is meant to be going on.

Kind Regards, John

Economy 7 is a tariff not a system. And yes you can get storage systems running on Economy 7 which centrally store the energy to be distributed as required by timers and thermostats.

There is a council house estate near me with a central store in each house and a hot air system which is controlled by timers and thermostats.

My brother-in-law has similar but with water rather than bricks and again the losses are much lower with this system. I am told the tanks can be even outside.

As to domestic water you can have two elements with two thermostats at different levels the bottom one on Economy 7 at a higher temperature to the top one running 24/7 and if you only use a small quantity of water the top one will not switch on. However you don't know if it has switched on or not so you don't know if bottom one fails.

So it looks like this is all solved.

I kept all of the radiators on the house on over night (previously only tried the hall way one) and the flat was stupidly hot this morning :)

So it looks like the radiator one is broken.

As for the water heater, I can just keep that on over night and then turn off in the morning, so we have hot water for the next day.

Thanks for all your help :)

Thanks for the update.

With some pictures we should be able to help you with the water heater.

A tip on the storage heaters to get the most.
Last thing at night, turn the outlet control down to minimum. This closes a flap to keep the heat in.
Then when you come home from work, turn the control up, so it starts letting the heat out during the evening.

Cool :) I will post some pics for the timer.

I have no idea which one my outlet control is so I'll post some pics of that stuff as there's a whole lot of them ;)

:)

Controls-SH.jpg

I realise it may be worn away but it is generally the one farthest from the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back