Economy 7

There's obviously a fair bit of variation between suppliers but,in the UK (at least, England, which is what I know a bit about), the general situation is:

... something like 3-4 years ago, there was a dramatic change in lost E7 tariffs, such that the difference between day and night costs got a lot less. However, with most supplies, this was accompanied by the day ('peak') E7 cost getting much closer to the single-rate tariff figure, so that the break even' point (in terms of minimum night-time usage) fell appreciably.

[ with my penultimate 2-year tariff (2018-2020), whether intentionally of due to an error on their part (which Idid not complain about!), the daytime E7rate was identical to the single-tariff rate, so that the 'break even' point fell to 0% for that 2 years - i.e. I couldn't possibly lose! :) ]

Of course, if (as seems probable) night-time EV charging becomes increasingly prevalent, the night-time may not remain anything like as 'low a demand period' as it historically has been, so this may well be reflected in the tariffs before long!

Kind Regards, John

Your last point is astute.

My night time rate is half my daytime.
I don't think this is going to last forever!

Sponsored Links
Your last point is astute..... My night time rate is half my daytime. .... I don't think this is going to last forever!
Indeed. It probably won't go quite this far, but it's not impossible that the 'lowest demand' (hence lowest cost) period might eventually be daytime "9 to 5" :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back