Economy Time Switch Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Apologises for the repost of this message - this is my first time to such a forum.

I have a house which appears to have had economy 7 at one time but now has Gas heating instead. The electrical distribution panel looks a bit of a mess with 2 old fuse boxes with real fuses and an old economy 7 mechanical time switch.

I would like to replace with MCB's and also remove the rattly monster switch as it currently does not switch on any heaters, and takes up space

My electricity meter (a Siemens S2AS 100) has a the usual L and N in and L and N out. It also has a single wire that goes to the Economy 7 switch. I am worried that this wire signals to the meter that the economy period is reached and that the metering rate should change. I would be surprised if this was the case as the meter is digital and timewise should have a more accurate clock than the mechanical unit.

Obviously if this the time switch changes the rate over then I cannot remove the switch as I will be stuck on one rate which would either work out very expensive or illegal (and thus expensive).

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
you should really consult your elctricity supplier, it is they who control it.

you can not legaly touch the meter since it is not your property, and is also dangerous for you to do so

Welcome to the forums :)

Hi Breezer,

I was not looking to touch the meter, only the timeswitch. I guess this is theirs also.

I know you probably shouldn't tell me but do you know if the meter changes rate on it's own or does it take the lead from the time switch?

Cheers

setups with a two rate meter and a seperate timeswitch controlling it are quite common

so the timeswitch would need to stay even if the night CU was removed

Sponsored Links
the time switch is also not yours, so you cant touch that either :cry: as i said call the supply co

As above.

The time switch tells the meter to switch from from one rate to the other. It also has a large switch inside it to switch the storage rads on.

These mechanical clocks have been replaced by teleswitches which are remotely controled by the elec board, but there are still many clocks around.

Ask the elec board. Do you still want econ 7?? If so, leave it all be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back