Economy7 Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice with regards to testing an economy 7 CU. If it is a replacement consumer unit, it will have to be RCD protected. How do you go about testing the RCD or RCBO's if there is no 230v to test. What is the procedure for test results regarding the RCD. Also how would you test the Ze?

Sponsored Links
For the purpose of testing RCDs/RCBOs I would probably go with temporarily supplying the new Eco 7 board from a spare way in the main board instead of from the Eco 7 supply.

As far as I'm aware there is no true way to test the Ze unless you do it at night when the Eco 7 & supply is live but if both boards are fed from the same supply head and connected to the same MET then the Ze for the Eco 7 should in theory be the same as on the main board.

If it is a replacement consumer unit, it will have to be RCD protected.
That depends on the cable type and installation method. It's not always necessary to have RCDs

How do you go about testing the RCD or RCBO's if there is no 230v to test.
You either wait until the power is on, or provide power some other way.

What is the procedure for test results regarding the RCD. Also how would you test the Ze?
Ze will be the same as that recorded for the rest of the day circuits - it's all supplied from the same cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back