Testing Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all your help to date ... hopefully doing courses this year if NICEIC e-mail me back re dates!!!

WHat is the correct way to test and record results for the folowing circuits:

Main CU - RCD - 12 outdoor lED lights (mains voltage)

Do you test and record R1 + R2 with the link in placed at the CU and the RCD closed? or test CU to RCD and RCD to remainder of circuit?

Main CU (MCB) - Jn Box (10mm T&E to 10mm SWA) - SHed CU (all RCD protected - 3 MCB's) - Circuits

AGain test and record R1 + R2 at each point or whole circuit?

For both of the above how do you do Insulaion resistance wirh RCD's in the chain?

Many thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
To do R1+R2 you need to can insert a link from the outgoing side of the open MCB to the earth rail then measure the resistance at the furthest point. Instead of inserting a link it may be possible to unscrew the outgoing phase wire and pop it into the earth rail.
I use a Megger MFT 1552 which pushes 200mA around the circuit for the low resistance test, this tends to trip RCDs so better to have them out of the circuit.

For a sub main test the R1+R2 of the sub main, this goes on your schedule of test results for where it is fed from.
For the shed you should have a separate schedule of test results with the R1+R2 for each of the 3 circuits.

When IR testing do each circuit on its own - with the phase and neutral disconnected from the CU. Some RCDs specifically say not to IR test them.

Thanks Spark, just to be clear for the outdoor lighting circuit that goes through the RCD if the RCD trips I should test R1 +R2 for the link from CU to the RCD and a separate test from the RCD to end of circuit.

Same for IR?

Thanks Dingbat will give them a call.

Sponsored Links
I'm a bit confused, where is the RCD in the circuit? Reading the OP it appears to be in the main consumer unit, if so just ignore it when doing the R1+R2 test, testing the wiring as it leaves the CU.
This way the test current doesn't pass through the RCD and it won't be a problem.

Sorry for the confusion. The RCD is remote from the CU. The CU is a LLutron homeworks panel that only has MCB's protecting each lighting circuit.

The RCD is in a metalclad box in the garage 3 meteres from the Lutron panel so there is T+E from CU (lutron) to the RCD (in a hager metalclads box) and the final circuit runs from the RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back