Ecotec - no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got a three year old Ecotec Plus 831.

Yesterday the radiators stopped working. I managed to get them going by overriding the Siemens wireless controls and switching them back on again.

Everything seemed fine.

Today there is no hot water.

The boiler fires up when the hot taps are turned on but no hot water comes out.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!!

Sponsored Links
When the hot tap is on there is a good flow of water and the boiler displays S 14 (burner ignited)

There is also a picture of a tap.

But no hot water comes out...

Are your radiators warming up when you try to get hot water? Diverter valve problem is likely.

Sponsored Links
I meant do your radiators receive heat from the boiler when heating is off, and you run your hot tap?

You may be good at football but not much good at describing boiler problems..

IF the water comes out of the taps cold AND the boiler shows the tap symbol AND the radiators are heating up instead THEN the diverter valve is not operating correctly.

If your boiler really is only three years old then it will have a later type of diverter valve and they are pretty reliable and it could always be a PCB fault instead.

BUT a DIYer should not be opening the front of the boiler as thats part of the combustion room sealing for the case.

So the advice would be to get a gas reg engineer with good diagnostic skills. Make sure you dont pay for a new diverter valve if the fault turns out to be with the PCB. Since a scope is ideally needed to see if the PCB is driving the diverter valve then thats not often used. Some though have a spare motor head or use a complete diverter valve to use to test with before fitting it.

Tony

You're right...I'm not very good at describing boiler problems. And I might not be much better at coaching football :)

But I can report that the problem was fixed by my wife while I was out today. She turned the boiler off, left it for 60 seconds and turned it back on again.

Voila! Hot water AND radiators!

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

That probably means its a sticking diverter valve and will probably stick again.

If ( or rather when ) it happens again will you show her a red card?

Or give her a free kick?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back