Eddy Currents?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looked at a very tidily done caravan site metre room today and noticed that the metal-enclosed fused isolators all had the phase and neutral tails entering and exiting the metal enclosures through seperate k.o.s (no slots inbetween). Otherwise, the installation looked remarkably well installed and maintained.
How serious an issue are eddy currents on 60A single phase isolators? Would you note it on a P.I.R.? Would you feel obliged to do something about it if you did some work on said install?
The subject gets very little mention in the regs and (I think) none in the O.S.G.
Your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Make sure the installation is on load and then put your pinky on the metal between the entries and see if it is warm /hot / burns you :D.

I doubt that you will notice anything.

There may be an issue with interference and this could come under the EMC directive - so you may get locked up :D.

The obvious cure is to install the cables correctly - an alternative would be to cut a slot with a hack saw blade between the cable entries - this breaks the circulating path.

I would record this on the PIR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back