Consumer Unit Change - NICEIC Assessment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Iam wishing to change the consumer unit(s) at home to a more modern setup. I will be using this job as one of my NICEIC assessment jobs for the domestic installer status. Iam currently in the 2nd year of the level2 2330.

Firstly how do i go about legally doing the work, do i still have to notify building control even though NICEIC will be assessing it and i will be able to sign it off once (hopefully) i gain the status.

Also currently the house has the consumer units wired behind a display cupboard which is very difficult to get to, I am wanting to move the unit into the front porch area, iam ok re routing all the circuit cables but what would I do about the meter tails? The cut out is outside in a white enclosure on the garage wall, so would I need to put a fuse isolator in the garage then SWA to the board or, can I run the tails under the floor for the full distance, about 5m

The house has a three phase supply coming in (used to be a small mill), It has 4 old small wylex boards 2 on one phase and 1 on each of the others, 2 boards are used for ceiling heating and storage heaters which are redundant and the other circuits are split across 2 boards / 2 phases.
Would I just take the new board from one phase or would I be able to get the supply changed to SP? I cant see much benefit of keeping the 3 phase supply.

Finally what should I expect from the NICEIC site visit? I presume I will need to supply a certificate & test results, what else will the inspector be wanting to see.

Sorry this is a bit long, Thanks in advance for any help.
Adam

Sponsored Links
Try checking with NICEIC !. Different scheme providers have slightly different interpretations on this. Some want it notified to LABC come what may; some will let you complete the work and notify it once you have passed the assessment. Try also checking your local LABC interpretation - they vary widely as well.

Need to check with your DNO about meter tail lengths - some limit it at 5metres.

Personally I'd go for single phase as you've no need for 3 phase.

Plenty on here about assessment visits but from my experience this job'll give the assessor plenty to quiz you on. As long as you know your testing and the way round the forms and can explain fully why you designed your CU replacemment the way you have you should be fine. Contrary to popular opinion they are not there to trick you. You could always subscribe to the view to deliberately miss a few things like sleeving switched lives just to give the assessor something to pick up.

You would need to notify building control - Good luck with that.

All circuits need testing.

Main bonding needs installing/upgrading if not already done.

How long would the tails be? Some DNO's allow any length of tail, some 4m, some 3m, some must be visible entirely etc. Ring your DNO to find out.

If you fit a Switch Fuse, look at SPLIT concentric cable, or 16mm Twin and Earth with a 10mm earth run a long side. SWA is a very good method, but can be awkward in a domestic install. Also nothing wrong with tails and seperate earth after the switch fuse if kept bunched together with ties through the entire route.

One phase would seem adequate, assuming no unusual appliances / installs. you need to inform the lecky supplier of the change to get the meter renewed to single phase.

If you do use more than 1P, make sure you cannot access two phases simultaneously, unless there are warning stickers - not noice in domestic...

Sponsored Links
T'was a deliberate departure from the dictionary!!

Yes, I've seen it. But I'm disappointed - the word RCD appears 1824 times.

Why is this? ;)

If you do use more than 1P, make sure you cannot access two phases simultaneously, unless there are warning stickers - not noice in domestic...

Is that reg still in the 17th (or 16th for that matter), afaik I undertsand it the "415V exists between" stickers were very much a 15th edition thing.

Of course its still good practice to try and keep the phases apart, and I wasn't particualy happy with the wet room I found this week that had electric shower one one phase, and a badly located fused spur on a different one... but as for regs, I'm a little stumped

Nope it's not an actual reg to fit the stickers and it wasn't in the 16th either.

Is that reg still in the 17th (or 16th for that matter), afaik I undertsand it the "415V exists between" stickers were very much a 15th edition thing.
Nope it's not an actual reg to fit the stickers and it wasn't in the 16th either.

See Regs 514-10-01 (16th) and 514.10.1 (17th)

(By the way, you've resurrected an old thread.)

(By the way, you've resurrected an old thread.)

Not quite sure how thats happened, I dont dig down through threads, I only reply to stuff on the fist page :confused: ... possibly database error causing it to be displayed by mistake? :confused:

Didn't the 16th edn word it along the lines of nominal voltage to earth for a TN system, which would mean it wasn't a requirement for a 400v 3phase TN system?
I believe the 17th edn has dropped the nominal to earth bit so yes, labelling will be required.

Also, bad lad Adam for finding an old thread :LOL:

Didn't the 16th edn word it along the lines of nominal voltage to earth for a TN system, which would mean it wasn't a requirement for a 400v 3phase TN system?
I believe the 17th edn has dropped the nominal to earth bit so yes, labelling will be required.
No. Not quite. No.

It hasn't changed.

It refers to nominal voltage greater than 230 V between accessible parts inside equipment or enclosures "where the presence of such a voltage would not normally be expected". So it did not and does not apply to a three-phase enclosure, including the DB, although it seems everybody cries wolf and sticks one on anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back