supply and fit consumer unit how much??

L

llewop

Hi,
Iam getting a new consumer unit installed and have had 2 quotes to supply and fit. I wondered what you thought about the price is it too much or ok.

1st quote was 130 pounds

2nd quote was 180 pounds

Both are supplying a 12 way consumer unit (although it does not need that many breakers) and meter tails.

Sponsored Links
Pricing is very dependent on area.

Both are cheap.

Does this include main eq bonds if required and a full EIC cert?

I would clarify those points.

Do you know what make CU is to be fitted? and what type?

it does not include full EIC cert. It does include changing mains earth but not any main bonding extra if required.

1st quote 130 pounds is for a Volex unit
2nd quote 180 pounds is for a wylex unit.

You mention this is cheap what is the normal price approximately for this work.

The contractor MUST issue a full EIC upon completion of the work.

It is a requirement of BS7671, as is leaving your installation fully compliant with the current edition of the regulations. This includes ensuring main earth and equipotential bonds are upto current standards.

Is your contractor an approved domestic installer, and able to self certify their compliance with the building regulations?

Have a look on this site to see if they are:
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/search.asp

If not, then look for someone else.

IMO neither of those CUs are especially good quality, and those prices seem too good to be true (and probably are)

I'd expect a CU change to cost between £200 and £600, depending on the condition of the existing installation, but usual disclaimer "Can't see it can't quote it"

Sponsored Links
Both quotes are from electricians who are doing it as hommers so they said they dont complete any paper work to avoid tax etc, thus keeping the price low. Both estimated 3 hours work at the very most.

Do you recommend staying clear of both of them and get a proper company in.

I think it prudent that circuits are checked before a new install cos disaster could beckon otherwise. These sparkies could also notify thro BC if they cant use company paperwork. When you come to sell your house, a Perodic Inspection Report may be requested by the purchasers mortgage company.....it could have severe financial implications for you

Both quotes are from electricians who are doing it as hommers so they said they dont complete any paper work to avoid tax etc, thus keeping the price low. Both estimated 3 hours work at the very most.

Do you recommend staying clear of both of them and get a proper company in.

some people really will say anything wont they?

stay clear of these arseholes and use properly competent people.people like this make my blood boil :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back