cost to fit Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There seem to be two jobs required:

* New Earth connection to mains supply cable and
* New consumer Unit

Price on phone is £500 or £700 (I think the difference is number of seperate circuit breakers in the unit if that makes sense).

Is this ball-park reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Depends what they are going to do for that.

For literally just replacing a CU it's high, but done properly there's more to the job than literally just replacing the CU....

New Earth Connection To Mains Supply Cable

Looks like that one may be a DNO job.

Sponsored Links
The consumer unit can be built in a number of different ways.
Simple is two RCD's feeding two banks of MCB's.
Next is add a few non RCD protected ways and use some RCBO's
Next is add RBCO's
It down to the risk of the RCD tripping and how far one goes to stop it tripping when really no fault.
The X-Pole RCD also monitors the leakage and gives a warning when reaching the point when likely to trip plus is claimed not to trip with no fault or at least be better at not tripping then cheaper types.
There is even an auto resetting type although one would not normally use these with domestic so the price of the two RCD's could be £700 that's without the rest of the box and fitting. Not that one would normally fit those RCD's but shows how the price can vary so much.

Before the job is started normally the whole house is tested. Looking for as we call it shared neutrals although really a shared live on lighting circuits is just one of the things done.

The quote could be to include anything found and the electrician wins on some loses on other and he takes the chance. Or the quote could be purely for CU change and any faults found are extras.

Again some will look at house and guess as to state of installation others will have a fixed price for a 3 bedroom and work again on swings and roundabouts wining with some and losing with others.

The other option is pay by the hour. Then you take the risk. However you then take risk on how good the guy is. Even with two electricians with same skill look comes into it with one guy finding a fault in 5 minutes the other taking 5 hours just look which end of the possible fault list they start at.

So what you need to do is find what is being fitted and how any faults will be charged for. Often small faults absorbed but large charged as extras.

Splitting the job into two with an electrical installation condition report first and then fitting the CU will mean the electrician can give a more exact quote for the CU change as any faults will have already been highlighted.

I'm in the North West, and two years ago a local electrical contractor fitted a new consumer unit and earth connection for 180 quid, plus the cost of the earth cable which came to about 30 notes.

I thought that was absolutely brilliant price, and as a result I will be calling him to do any electrical work before I call anyone else.

I'm in the North West, and two years ago a local electrical contractor fitted a new consumer unit and earth connection for 180 quid, plus the cost of the earth cable which came to about 30 notes.

I thought that was absolutely brilliant price, and as a result I will be calling him to do any electrical work before I call anyone else.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Do you live in the same area as the OP? Will you be letting him have the details of the bargain basement man?

By the way, did you get a full test report, installation certificate and a Building Regulations Completion Certificate?

There's no way you can do a CU swap properly and legally using a decent quality CU for that money.

There's no way you can do a CU swap properly and legally using a decent quality CU for that money.

Nope my mate did mine at mates rates and with me supplying the board & doing the majority of the EICR myself it still cost me more. He did a bang up job though

When having a wet room fitted Electrician offered to fit a Consumer Unit rather than just a RCD and MCB for wet room for £100.

He never finished the job and I had to involve the LABC to get the whole job signed off. Luck as disabled it was free.

However I would be very wary of cheap jobs they can become expensive.

Im in the Cheshire area and im part P reg with ELECSA to self certify. cheapest ive done a consumer unit change for was £200 to replace a 6 way Wylex with a Dual RCD MK unit.
I had carried out a full EICR of the property the week before and the wiring was in good shape with the bonding to gas and water 10mm.

Normally i will do a consumer unit change for £250 it will cost more if bonding needs installing/upgrading or its a large install

And i always fit either a Hager or MK Sentry consumer unit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back