Edge

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a new laptop running Windows 10, which comes with Microsoft's Edge. I thought I'd try it and it looks well enough (although 'Bookmarks/Favourites' is on the other side from what I am accustomed to). The one thing I think it lacks is an equivalent to AdBlock Plus, which I have always used with my browsers and, predictably, adverts pop up all over the place and distract from the content I want to read.

Reading elsewhere on the internet, it appears that Microsoft intentionally left Edge without the necessary provision for extensions such as AdBlock, and suggestions have been made by commenters that this may be because MS doesn't want to lose its ability to track data from its users, which I can well believe!

Consequently, I shall return to using SeaMonkey, but shall retain Edge in the hope that MS will decide to do what so many people want and enable extensions, not just AdBlock but others that can be very useful.

Sponsored Links
One other thing about Edge, JBR.... Open up an "in private " browsing session, and you'd think any browsing history isn't recorded.... Far from it. It actually saves a file on your computer, containing a history of any websites visited whilst "in private" browsing . (and it is accessible , if you know where to look) ;););)

I can well believe it. What I can't understand is what does Microsoft hope to gain by gathering such information about its users?

If you are worried about privacy check your privacy settings as windows 10 has a built in keylogger which sends the info to microsoft!

Sponsored Links
If you are worried about privacy check your privacy settings as windows 10 has a built in keylogger which sends the info to microsoft!
No, it doesn't bother me personally, as I have nothing to hide.
I just wondered what benefit Microsoft gets from gathering information about its users. If it is just a means to improve their products, I can see the sense.

I don't have anything to hide, but when I enter bank details or passwords into my PC I don't really want them sent to microsoft (or any other 3rd party).

Back