Edging strips fo natural slate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, i am currently preparing to tile my mother in law's batroom floor for her, she is planning on using a large natural slate for the floors, in anticipation of this and thanks to he advice found on here i removed the existing tiles took out the sink and toilet and self levelled the entire floor to try to ensure the best possible start for the job.

On one side of the room are four pipes- these being the central heating and hot / cold feeds for the sink, toilet and bath. Mother in law would like these boxed in using the slate, were only talking about 100mm square boxing here, in addition the feeds to the sink have now been chased in as i am hinging a semi ped type sink for her.

I had planned to make a frame from timber then cover it with ply and seal it before over-tiling with cut down slate, in the past when doing similar things i have used chrome or colour matched edging strip / quarant, however due to the un-even nature of the slate tiles i would think the finish would be poor, so my question is will the cut edges look ok as cut or can anyone offer any ideas for making the finish look good?

Sponsored Links
There's not really much you can do to disguise the uneven edges. Having said that, once sealed, the edges shouldn't look too bad anyway.
Just a tip.... you can make the box quicker with plasterboard and that'll give a better surface to tile to.

have never tiled directly to plasterboard but will take a look at some of the posts, what's the best tool for cutting it to ensure nice cuts?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back