Cutting honed slate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got some 600x300x15 honed slate floor tiles to lay and i hadn't anticipated cutting them with a 5 inch grinder and good macrist blade would be a problem.

Appearently it is though and when trying to cut a small 40mm slice off the end of one the slate cuts fine but it has a tendancy to split along the natural seems. i.e. it cracks along its 15mm dimension to leave 2 or 3 thinner sections.

Thats confusing so imagine i end up with a 40mm length of tile and when your look at it on edge there are splits.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
score it first in a dry cutter, then cut in a wet saw with a good blade..

the 40mm slither/rake....is this the bit you intend to fix to the floor??.

It's actually for a small ledge to fill the gap between bath and wall, but i am using a sliver of the slate floor tile here.

I imagine when it comes to cutting bigger bits off the tiles it won't be so much of a problem but it certainly didn't go as i expected.

I have a few extra tiles as i thought my plan for the sliver might be a problem. I assume trying to score and snap them on a cutter wouldn't work either?

Sponsored Links
Scoring and snapping would make the problem even worse.
Is the blade quite old? This may be the problem. If you buy a brand new diamond wheel, a Norton Super Gres is a good one, you should be fine.

Try scoring and then cutting like the guys have suggested but it may be time to get a better wheel

Its the 3rd cut with this blade. It is a brand new good quality macrist.

I don't think scoring will help as the cut is perfectly clean it's more the delaminating of the slate.

I will borrow a wet saw and see how i go.

So is it low quality slate? I have never known honed slate to do that is all. I am guessing it is calibrated which normally means a little more strength than what you are describing. Let us know how you get on with the wet cutting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back