EDPM Questions and help urgently required please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two questions:

one about firestone vs Prelasti (and others), and the other about finding true black membranes.

1- We had a visit from our roofing friend today who strongly advised us to do the job ourselves which is our intention (we can't really afford not to). He mentioned that when he uses prelasti (his edpm of choice) he mentions that there will always be bubbles afterwards. I wondered wether this is something to do with using prelasti which i noted looked more fabric-like and is maybe less stretchy than firestone - Is this the case? Is there any other product which could be applied without bubbles forming?

2- We had presumed that jet black epdm would be easy to find and presumed that the 'black' firestone would be jet black. We budgeted for firestone. we have since discovered that firestone is charcoal grey and not the jet black we specified on planning app and that we want. Prelasti seem to be the only jet black epdm that we can find but for our application it comes to £700 more than the firestone. We're running the project on a tight budget so cannot afford to overspend by this much- does anybody know of any cheaper edam membranes out there which come in a true black colour? Also is there any way to 'treat' the firestone edpm to make it appear balck (i know it looks black when it rains)

These delays on purchasing at the eleventh hour come at a critical time as we're half way through sob-ing the roof and want the membrane on site to protect from the rain. Any advice very gratefully received.

Thanks

Dave Hunter

Sponsored Links
You can paint the epdm with liquid latex black rubber paint. Only thing is it will invalidate the warranty even though i've heard it won't effect the rubber (But don't take my word for it).

I don't know about the Prelasti stuff so can't comment. Have a google of JM Roofco see how dark their membrane is.

Good Luck

PS Why does it need to be jet black by the way, who's going to be staring out at the roof all the time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back