EPDM novice advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, I hope you can help me with a little advice about EPDM- here's the background

We're building a small house in Tottenham. We're first time self builders although my partner has building experience and is very competent (more than i can say for myself).

Thankfully we've cracked the semi submerged lower floor and are now ready to tackle the roof. The plans specify a singly ply rubber membrane which will cover the entire roof and also clad the first floor (so would need detailing around windows etc). The roof shape is slightly complicated with one flat section and two different pitched sections. The building footprint is only 10m x 4m but the roof area i'm not sure of (I will consult plans and update in a bit - sorry)

I've been researching other posts and general advice on the internet and have a few probably quite basic questions to put to you.

1. Which EPDM product should we go for- is it firestone all the way or does anybody recommend a cheaper brand? Does anyone have any experience with Prelasti (preformed as a single sheet in factory)?

2. What's the consensus on using OSB3 tongue and groove vs marine ply or anything else?

3. Would it be possible to find a contractor to fit the EPDM only not the OSB? We're on a tight budget and are hoping to do as much as possible ourselves.

4. If this is possible can anyone give me a rough idea of the m2 cost of installing and supplying EPDM.

5. Can anyone recommend a contractor somewhere around Tottenham. We're keen to get someone experienced and able because the final effect is especially important- because it will cover the upper floor as well as the roof.

6. What effect will the rainy weather have- do we need to wait for several dry days before getting someone in to fit/starting it off or doesn't this matter?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice and apologies if i've asked silly questions.

Annie

Sponsored Links
Can't help you re: Fitter, but it needs to be done on a dry fine day, cover the boards up like mad or try and fit them the day before. Make sure they use genuine Firestone glue as there are some dodgy ones on the market. Get it done before the weather gets colder.

Use Firestone epdm, plus their glues and trims.
osb 3 boards are better than ply, no wastage, nice even finish to the roof and the glues pull down better.
You only need one clear day to do the roof, remember you have the sheet of rubber to hand should you need to cover up.
Theres a Firestone supplier in Aylesbury, that have fitting teams covering London.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back