EPDM or fiberglass flat roof

Thanks Woody. Ok, I get you...just wasn’t sure if you were suggesting that grp isn’t a diy’ able thing.

Yeah, seen those edpm patches for the lanterns...part of me just thinkings the more seams, etc the more chance of failure. Although I get the thing with the grp is that it’s all in the prep and getting the stuff on the roof in good time.

You can get the epdm in one covering. The seems did worry me if needed however the more I've been looking into it, the adhesive does look excellent stuff if laid correctly

Sponsored Links
You can get the epdm in one covering. The seems did worry me if needed however the more I've been looking into it, the adhesive does look excellent stuff if laid correctly
I've used both GRP and EPDM, both commercially (using contractors) and DIY.

in my opinion GRP has more that can go wrong and difficult to undertake remedial work.

Tips for EPDM:
1 lay the rubber on the roof and leave it for a few days to relax the creases -ideally it should have some sun on it.

2 don't worry about seams -buy it in 2 bits if it's easier (definitely if you have a lantern)
3 when starting vacuum the deck and even the rubber if it's got loads of loose silvery stuff.
4 if you using screw on trims you don't really need the 4" - 6" contact adhesive around the perimeter
5 get yourself a karnedean roller - you can apply a lot of pressure with it

I personally found the white waterbased adhesive best used on both deck and rubber.

Be aware the rubber sheet is chuffing heavy!

The only negatives are that EPDM gets too hot to stand on if it's in full sun. Also on really hot summer days it gives off a slight burning rubber smell

Thanks Woody. Ok, I get you...just wasn’t sure if you were suggesting that grp isn’t a diy’ able thing.

Yeah, seen those edpm patches for the lanterns...part of me just thinkings the more seams, etc the more chance of failure. Although I get the thing with the grp is that it’s all in the prep and getting the stuff on the roof in good time.
Those patches stick like they are welded, I would not worry about any seams on an EPDM roof.

TBH I don't think there is an easier roof cover to do and you can guarantee yourself a good long lasting job.

I've used both GRP and EPDM, both commercially (using contractors) and DIY.

in my opinion GRP has more that can go wrong and difficult to undertake remedial work.

Tips for EPDM:
1 lay the rubber on the roof and leave it for a few days to relax the creases -ideally it should have some sun on it.

2 don't worry about seams -buy it in 2 bits if it's easier (definitely if you have a lantern)
3 when starting vacuum the deck and even the rubber if it's got loads of loose silvery stuff.
4 if you using screw on trims you don't really need the 4" - 6" contact adhesive around the perimeter
5 get yourself a karnedean roller - you can apply a lot of pressure with it

I personally found the white waterbased adhesive best used on both deck and rubber.

Be aware the rubber sheet is chuffing heavy!

The only negatives are that EPDM gets too hot to stand on if it's in full sun. Also on really hot summer days it gives off a slight burning rubber smell

1. This is what I've been reading, best to lay it out for few days or a week to settle. This is something I will do for sure.

2. It's a flat roof with no lanterns or parapet. I want it in one covering. 7x6m!

3. I will do this. It does make sense although I thought brushing was enough.

4. I'll be using firestone, does this come with the screw on trims? If i was to use the contact adhesive around the perimeter, does this have to be done on the same day as the other adhesive.

5. Looking at them online, they look to me that they could create bubbles. I could be wrong however the gaps between each roller looks to me this could be the case.

How do you mean to hot to stand on?

How heavy if it's 7x6m

Sponsored Links
TBH I don't think there is an easier roof cover to do and you can guarantee yourself a good long lasting job.

Looking online I would agree with you woody if it's just a flat roof. Even the corners don't look to difficult with a bit of practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back