EPDM or fiberglass flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was adamant I was going to cover my flat roof in a EPDM rubber roofing however I'm now torn between this and the fiberglass GRP instead.

Looking others opinions on both products. I have experience using fiberglass building small boats however this product hasn't been without some issues when installing it. The temperature has to be right plus one can get sir bubbles forming when the resin is setting.

Any sort of moisture or water on the epoxy can also cause issues. With getting installed on a flat roof outside, there's a possibility of waiting for the right days for installing both applications without any rain or drizzle. Would this be similar to installing an EPDM roof.

EPDM roofs can cause some bubbling issues which I've seen or can cause serious problems if installed incorrectly. As mentioned before, I'm very competent in all aspects of building work and looking at EPDM and GRP fiberglass, I wouldn't think I'd have any issues laying but thought I'd post here to ask for advice on both before I decide which one to use.

Sponsored Links
You can't go wrong with rubber! but with fibre glass there are plenty of things to go wrong. One big bonus with rubber is you have a bit tarp if you get interrupted by rain

I had fibreglass fitted to my previous house, was done well and suffered none of the problems people complain about (cracking noise in the summer heat, cracking etc)

Both have there pros and cons.

I think the rubber roof now has a 50 year lifetime for the Firestone stuff.

Which is same as fibreglass.i believe.

If fibreglass these guys are good to supply materials https://www.cybglassfibre.co.uk/

Rubber is easier and less chance of going wrong.

I had fibreglass fitted to my previous house, was done well and suffered none of the problems people complain about (cracking noise in the summer heat, cracking etc)

Both have there pros and cons.

I think the rubber roof now has a 50 year lifetime for the Firestone stuff.

Which is same as fibreglass.i believe.

If fibreglass these guys are good to supply materials https://www.cybglassfibre.co.uk/

Rubber is easier and less chance of going wrong.

Have been reading firestone very good and do courses however with covid restrictions, the courses are cancelled which is to be expected. I think Im going to go with the EPDM! One concen I have is the bubbling up off it and the creases. I can lay it out for a number of days to help remove the creases but I guess not getting the bubbling takes experience. Any tips on how not to get this!

Sponsored Links
Have been reading firestone very good and do courses however with covid restrictions, the courses are cancelled which is to be expected. I think Im going to go with the EPDM! One concen I have is the bubbling up off it and the creases. I can lay it out for a number of days to help remove the creases but I guess not getting the bubbling takes experience. Any tips on how not to get this!

Go with a reputable firm, and you should get a 10 year Garantee. (Firestone insure their subsidiary firms against bad workmanship)

Best thing to do is lay it out where you want it. Once happy, glue in sections, pulling it snug in each section.

I'm sure there is plenty of videos on YouTube, watch a few to get some tips.

I've only had experience of assisting fitting it on my brother's garden office.

The only GRP systems worth having would be the ones installed by the accredited firms with a well known product - e.g. Sika Liquid Plastics, and which come with the manufacturers or insurance backed warranty.

Avoid the ones where a random Joe has just picked up a few tubs from the merchants.

EPDM however, is more proven and as long as its done right can be expected to last longer than any GRP or felt roof.

The only GRP systems worth having would be the ones installed by the accredited firms with a well known product - e.g. Sika Liquid Plastics, and which come with the manufacturers or insurance backed warranty.

Avoid the ones where a random Joe has just picked up a few tubs from the merchants.

EPDM however, is more proven and as long as its done right can be expected to last longer than any GRP or felt roof.

Hey Woody,

Are you suggesting that GRP is only worth doing if fitted by a pro, or that you should only use the reputable products that the pros use?

I was leaning towards GRP as I’m having a roof lantern so I liked the idea of not having all the patches/cuts that are associated with EDPM.

Cheers
Andy

Hey Woody,

Are you suggesting that GRP is only worth doing if fitted by a pro, or that you should only use the reputable products that the pros use?

I was leaning towards GRP as I’m having a roof lantern so I liked the idea of not having all the patches/cuts that are associated with EDPM.

Cheers
Andy
No if you are DIYing then you are responsible for it, so you make your choice in terms of the product you buy (are prepared to pay for) and then are responsible for how it is fitted which in turn impacts on how long it might last.

What I was really saying related to if you are paying someone to do the work for you.

BTW, with a lantern and EDPM and there is a little patch on each upstand corner, you can hardly see it.

Thanks Woody. Ok, I get you...just wasn’t sure if you were suggesting that grp isn’t a diy’ able thing.

Yeah, seen those edpm patches for the lanterns...part of me just thinkings the more seams, etc the more chance of failure. Although I get the thing with the grp is that it’s all in the prep and getting the stuff on the roof in good time.

Sun seeker turn out some good grp.

I think I am right in saying there are more grp issues on this site than EPDM.

Grp Is for boats

Hey Woody,

Cheers
Andy

I have experience building small boats in it but rubber does seem less can go wrong. I was torn between the two but I'm leaning more for the EPDM aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back