Edwardian house closing off gap under loft room floor, covering the cavity and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are going to replace all the loft insulation in the eaves of our ‘new’ 1910 mid terrace house which has a 20+ year old loft conversion. Currently it has about 150mm of fibreglass that has deteriorated due to a leaking roof (now repaired) and a historic rat infestation. i have 3 questions regarding this..

I am going to use 100mm rockwool between the joists and 200mm on top Can the 100mm extend over the top of the cavity wall as long as i leave the 50mm for airflow?
I was thinking of using these has anyone used them or think they are worth it?
renovation eaves panels

There is historic cavity wall insulation the polystyrene bead type in the cavity and I have read contradicting information saying that if you have this cavity wall insulation the top of the cavity should have been sealed. - we know this as where the rats have got into the loft through the cavity there is mounds of it where it has been pushed out. I would like to cover the cavity in some way if possible to stop any re-entry. At the least can i use rat mesh over the cavity to stop them accessing the loft area but still allow air circulation? forming it into a n shape and pushing it into the cavity and securing it to the wall plate with staples. - this obviously before laying the insulation..

Finally, the gap between the joists and that goes under the loft room that should be sealed. Can i stuff this with rockwool or is it best to cut PIR foam board and expanding foam to seal the space and stop air flow under the loft room floor?

many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back