Wall cavity in loft of 1930s house covered - problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're in the process of topping up the loft insulation that was already in the loft when we moved in. While doing so I pulled back some of the existing insulation as it went almost to the edge of the loft where it meets the roof. Underneath, I saw the previous owners had covered the wall cavity with carpet offcuts and extended the loft insulation over the top.

My understanding was you weren't supposed to do this, so that air could circulate up through the cavity and into the loft to reduce the possibility of damp.

Can anyone confirm my understanding is correct? If so, are there any downsides to uncapping the cavity? (drop in temperature, pests entering the loft etc)

Many thanks,
James

Sponsored Links
A cavity does not need to be vented in fact they are closed with brick or slate or similar in many properties.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back