Efco jet 300A petrol strimmer - how to replace the line?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having finally got my old strimmer working, I now have the problem that the line is tangled inside the line head/spool reel and won't feed out. Grrrr!

Unfortunately, although I can easily unscrew the head from the spindle, I can't find any way of opening it up!

On the back of the body, there's a female left-handed threaded hole which screws onto the spindle.

On the front/bottom there is a square steel shaft set flush with a small plastic cap. Under this small cap is the main reel cap, which is set into the body and spring loaded, so it can be depressed easily (I think this is how line is meant to feed out in use, by tapping it on the ground).

There appear to be no screws or other fixings, although on the back of the body are four small square-ish holes near the edge.

The cap rotates slightly in the body shell, but no more than a fraction of a turn.

If anyone has one of these and can help, I'll b hugely grateful as it's driving me nuts, and the weeds are just laughing at me on the allotment!

Sponsored Links
I have a different make of strimmer and the spool can be separated by prising open 2 plastic lugs diametrically opposite on each side of the spool. The whole assembly can then be parted to rewind the line.

Maybe your's has something similar?

I'm pretty sure the head will either have a central screw/bolt, a large plastic nut or sides that are pressed in to release the outer head......unless its one of those machines with a complete replaceable spool - I don't know.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I managed to figure it out. The small black cap unscrew (LH) but was very very tight. I had to use a pair of Gordons to get it to shift.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back