Effective Weedkiller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What weedkillers do members recommend? I've tried Resolv, Roundup etc, but none seems to have any effect. I'm trying to clear a stoned area without having to resort to kneeling and pulling up the little beggars. Pulling up can affect the liner which is there to stop them growing in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Glyphosate works, even when the bottle has a fancy name label and an inflated price. It also works when it is a low-priced own-brand in a high street hardware chain.

I find it is more effective from a sprayer, fully wetting the leaves, than from a watering can. It has no effect if applied to the ground.

How long did you wait after applying it?

As john says any weedkiller should be effective if applied properly.

Many people expect spraying weeds once to keep the area clear for the whole year. Weeds seeds blow in the wind, dropped by birds etc. Areas like gravel will need
Sprayed every 4-8 weeks to stay clear.

Sponsored Links
Once you have killed all the well-grown weeds and cut them off, you could use Pathclear when further seeds begin to sprout. It leaves a film that prevents seeds germinating. The surface must be left undisturbed, no raking, hoeing or pulling up which break the protective layer.

It works as a weedkiller as well, but it does work out more expensive, so use glyphosate first.

Use the dose on the packaging. Making it more concentrated does not make it more effective, its a waste of money and bad for the environment.

Use the dose on the packaging. Making it more concentrated ...
I have read that too strong a concentration of glyphosate can be less effective.

The reasoning being that glyphosate is translocated to the roots and kills the whole plant (hence it takes some time to work), but that too strong a concentration can kill the leaves / stem before the glyphosate reached the roots. In that case the plant regrows from the roots.

Is that true?

The weeds are dandelion, grass, and other little leaves. Some look like fern.
Thanks for the advice. Will make up as specified. Contractors recently did pavements by us, and the week before they sprayed the borders, and grass just outside the borders died within a couple of days. Have invested in a spray pack, and it also has a shroud to localise the spray, so will have a go tomorrow. It should be dry.

They will probably have been using something different such as an enhanced product like hammer or nomix dual.

These type of products can give visible results in as little as 12 hours and are used by councils etc for various reasons. They are much more expensive and only available in large quanities for professional use.

Normal glyphosate is just as effective and more than adequate for the weeds you describe.

the spray is supposed to be mixed to a higher concentration that the stuff for watering-can application.

I sprayed an area with plain glyphosate about a month ago. For a couple of weeks weather was cold and no apparent effect. Third week was warm and sunny and it yellowed. This week it is like straw.

The small weeds died before the big ones.

Simply hoeing the gravel is likely to kill seedlings that have blown in.

Some "path clear" type weedkillers include something that might help to prevent new seeds from germinating.

You might also consider trying to find the source of these blown seeds.

Thanks for all thoughts and advice. I've bought and used Gallup, from the local farm supplies. Have sprayed today with a promise of dry weather for a few warm days so hopefully will succeed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back