Efficiency of Electric Heating

Thanks everyone for your fast and comprehensive replies. I think we'll go for a combined 3kW convector with built in fan. That way we can have the fast warm up with the fan and then just use the convector to maintain the
temperature. ... I see several mentions of heat pumps, which would be a nice idea, but as most have realised, the initial outlay is a bit high considering that the conservatory will probably only be heated for 40 hours tops all winter.
Assuming she has it, is there a CH pipe relatively near the room?

Sponsored Links
Yes there is, just the other side of the wall in the kitchen directly where the new heater will go, put there deliberately for a radiator in the conservatory. However.....

1. When the conservatory was built, it was part of a larger kitchen extension project, and the LABC inspector said that we could not have a radiator connected to the central heating system installed. The reason he gave was because the conservatory being mostly glass didn't have sufficient insulation and was not energy efficient and so the building regulations state that it had to have a completely separate and independent heating system. For the same reason, we had to have external double glazed doors between it and the rest of the house. This is a real pain, because most visitors kick, or trip over the step as they enter.

2. There isn't a lot of space available, just about the size of a wall mounted electric convector, so only a small radiator would be possible anyway.

3. It's a super insulated bungalow, so much of the time it stays warm and the central heating doesn't come on much, so when we want to heat the conservatory from cold quickly, I doubt the central heating would 'cut the mustard'

4. In late summer, early autumn when the central heating isn't on it can be cool in the conservatory of an evening, so a bit of localised heat as, and when required may be useful.

I suggest we all email them and ask for the evidence to support their claim.

Has anybody else had a reply yet?

I have, but it failed to provide any evidence to support their claim that their product gives "30% energy savings heating a room"

The person sending the reply appeared to be under the misapprehension that the statement "Based on heating a room - speed of warm up 10oC to 22C - range average - Glen Dimplex test laboratory results 2010." is evidence of a 30% energy saving.

The person sending the reply appeared to be under the misapprehension that the statement "Based on heating a room - speed of warm up 10oC to 22C - range average - Glen Dimplex test laboratory results 2010." is evidence of a 30% energy saving.
As has been discussed, that '30% saving' may be literally true in terms of the amount of energy consumed just during the initial period of heating the room from 10° until it first reached 22°, but that difference would disappear during ongoing maintenance of room temperature.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
indeed so.

the heat loss is the same, so the idea that one electric heater can maintain the same temperature, with the same heat loss, with less energy is clearly wrong.

"30% energy savings heating a room"
is what Dimplex say, and it cannot be true.

"30% energy savings heating a room"
is what Dimplex say, and it cannot be true.
As I said, if they are going to argue that "30% energy savings heating a room" means (per their test) "30% saving in heating a room from 10° until it gets to 22°", then it could possible be true! There is nothing in their statement which explicitly mentions maintaining a temperature!

Kind Regards, John

I think their target audience (ignorant customers) will understand "heating a room" to mean keeping a room heated.

From the ASA website (with my highlighting):

screenshot_262.jpg

Apologies if it's too wide for some people.

I think their target audience (ignorant customers) will understand "heating a room" to mean keeping a room heated.
Quite. That is presumably what they are hoping - but they probably think that they could defend themselves, if taken to task, by pointing out that the words they wrote didn't actually say that (particularly given the note about the test conditions)!

A lot of 'clever' thought goes into what companies think they can 'get away with' in their ('misleading', as you and I would call them) adverts which imply something to the 'target audience' without actually literally saying it! It really is very naughty, but I don't know to what extent they can 'get away with' this in the eyes of the rules, regulations and laws.

Kind Regards, John

From the ASA website (with my highlighting):
I guess that partially answers the question I've just effectively posed - but does CAP actually apply to the sort of material we're talking about (i.e. dose it count as 'advertising'?).
Apologies if it's too wide for some people.
Far too wide for me :)

Kind Regards, John

Yes there is, just the other side of the wall in the kitchen directly where the new heater will go, put there deliberately for a radiator in the conservatory. However

1. When the conservatory was built, it was part of a larger kitchen extension project, and the LABC inspector said that we could not have a radiator connected to the central heating system installed. ...
2. There isn't a lot of space available, just about the size of a wall mounted electric convector, so only a small radiator would be possible anyway.

The conservatory heating doesn't have to be completely independent, but it must be independently controllable. Whether your existing pipework is sufficient is unknown but it may be possible to run new pipe(s) back to the zone valve and put the conservatory on its own zone.

A fan-assisted convector ('myson') has a high output in a small space.

http://www.myson.co.uk/products/slim_line_rc.asp#tabbed-2 is 4.5 kW. Other manufacturers are available.

They certainly have seemingly tried hard to 'cover themselves', but I don't know to what extent this would be regarded as "trying to get off on a technicality" as far as advertising regs (if they apply) are concerned. Each and every reference to the "30% energy saving" on their website has an asterisked footnote referring to "speed of warm up 10°C to 22°C" - and, for those who read it, "speed of warm up" is fairly clear, and does not really imply anything about maintenance of temperature.

Kind Regards, John

you mean where the "explanation" says something quite different to the claim.

like writing

"pork pies will add 30% to your penis size*"

"* pork pies caused waistine to expand by up to 30% when five pork pies per day were consumed in addition to normal diet over a period of 20 years"

you mean where the "explanation" says something quite different to the claim. ... like writing
"pork pies will add 30% to your penis size*"
"* pork pies caused waistine to expand by up to 30% when five pork pies per day were consumed in addition to normal diet over a period of 20 years"
I hope you're not getting the impression that I am in any way defending, supporting or justifying their clearly misleading tactics! I'm merely talking about what they appear to be 'trying to get away with'!

Your analogy above is not really appropriate, since the footnote is not just 'clarifying' but, rather, is totally changing the initial statement - 'penis size' and 'waistline' are two very different things. To be silly, it would be a better analogy if the footnote read "there was a 30% average increase in penis size when pork pies were suspended from the ends of the penises of N volunteers" !!!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back