Efficiency of modern double glazed units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all

Can anyone offer advice on the following? My partner and I already have a conservatory that’s old and insecure (it’s of a type where the sealed units can be removed if the beading is pulled out). We need an extra room as a result of changed circumstances, and are thinking of a complete rebuild of the conservatory in order to make a room that is usable throughout the year and in the evening, as I’ve heard that modern sealed units are really efficient.

However, I’d like to get a better idea of just how efficient these modern units are. How low would the temperature have to drop before we retire, shivering to the house proper? Does anyone know of any reliable and impartial advice on this sort of query? The alternative is we rebuild in brick, which I suspect will be a lot more expensive, so your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Sponsored Links
I don't know if you're aware of the latest conservatory rules but check with your local planning or check online, in my area and I have done this now, it's up to 30m2 floor area and I understand in my area, a terrace house you can go out 2m, a semi-detached 3m and detached 4m providing you don't go over 30m2 floor area then you will not need any planning and is exempt from building regs and the building control do not want to know :D My BCO told me they don't know how long this will be in force for but will be here for next year or so, or could be forever because they were passing conservatory plans when they shouldn't have done because they are too busy with other building plannings which they have to meet their target because of the government policies of building more houses and flats etc so the government applied this new conservatory rules. Go to the biggest size you can afford ;)

My old double glazing unit was 18mm but now have 28mm Pilkington EnergiKare double glazed units and the old polycarbonate roof sheets was 16mm and now 35mm thickness, have I noticed the difference? difficult to say really, does feel a lot warmer but it's triple the size now but the cast iron stove makes the difference
I now used my conservatory all the year round including winter with my cast iron fire, it's my main lounge now! :D My cast iron fire here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=237721&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

ps: you also have to check the neighbours boundary line, normally 1m each side, if not, then a non-combustable wall preventing fire risk, your BCO will tell you more details

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back