efflorescence help after pointing an reskim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I pointed a house few months ago, and plastered few rooms inside, there is efflorescence on the inside, and sum damp/cold spots on the inside of the external walls, the house is about 200 years old so there is no cavity, and lime plaster on the inside witch I Jst pva'd and reskimed with Multi finish, these patches of efflorescence are doin my nut in and these damp/cold spots that at there, Simone suggested SBRing the walls with slurry, the dot and dab insulated boards and reskim,
Would this work?

Walls are painted so would I have to score the Walls before SBRing?

The other option was to hack off walls and re render with sika in the mix then insulated boards, then reskim. Lot of work, cant really afford it, means pullin up carpets emptying 3 rooms, doin all the work then puttin everything back at my own expense,

Any help and advice appreciated, thanks your time

Sponsored Links
Is the external wall brick or stone?

PVA and multi is the issue.

Stone is porous and in the case of your property lime was used allowing the walls to "breath" and flex. Covering the wall with PVA will seal the wall and assuming you didn't use "water proof" PVA it breaks down when in contact with constant moisture, low temperatures or a combination of both. Multi is not good in high moisture conditions.

If you want a quick fix you can you can treat it with a stain stop.

Sponsored Links
Thx for your help, so tankin the external wall with SBRing then insulation board should fix the issue, or could it cause a worse problem?

Tanking with sbr and insulating boards will work but you are still sealing the stone. Sealing stone will cause damage down the line, it drastically lessens the life of the stone.

You would be well advised to look at Limelite renovating plaster it will sort out any efflorescence and dampness, it's flexible as well. It's the best alternative to lime, it's a very good compromise.

I would recommend it in your situation.

http://www.pozament.co.uk/products/limelite-renovating/

You could apply a good scratch coat and then board out with insulated boards or you could float the whole wall. Either combination should work and last both you and I out. If you do apply a scratch coat and board don't scratch too deep, you don't want to expose the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back