Eggshell on bare plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just painted a couple of square metres of bare plaster ceiling and new coving with what I thought was emulsion (which I watered down 20%). It is now drying and it turns out it is water based eggshell. Dumb, I know.

The plaster was only a thin skim and seemed thoroghly dry. The final finish will be emulsion.

What should I do? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Sponsored Links
hi jon ,
i cant see no reason why you just cant carry on and use it as a mist coat followed by 2 good coats of quality v/m i cant see a problem with that

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I was worried that a water based emulsion would flake off the eggshell. In future I will not guess at the contents of anonymous tins.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the eggshel is water based then its pretty much an emulsion with a sheen to it. We dont usually use this as a mist coat because of it having a shine to it. A contract matt with no pva in it watered down is the best. Then any kind of finish can go over top. Vinyl matt emulsion, soft sheen, silk finish etc have pva in them to make them shiny. This seals the ceiling without actually soaking in and can flake off after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back