Eggshell over gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to paint our front door and staircase in preferred eggshell but the surfaces are currently in gloss.
Firstly what's the best way to tackle this and will eggshell not yellow as much or as quickly as gloss?

Thanks as usual

Sponsored Links
I presume when you say front door, you mean the inside of it? Just rub the surface down to provide a key for the paint to adhere too. Most oil based whites will yellow much quicker than they used to. Water based will stay whiter much longer. Eggshell is a nice finish but not very serviceable. Its not easy to keep clean as finger marks tend to go into the paint easier. Satin is more durable and easier to wipe clean.

Thanks Robbie

Sorry,yes I meant inside door.

Could you recommend a good quality durable water based paint that might be up to the job with two kids interest house!

Sponsored Links
I agree about the Johnstone's.

BTw, whether it yellows or not isn't to do with the finish (gloss/satin/eggshell), but the type of paint (waterbased or oilbased). Since 2010, white oilbased paints will go yellow, especially inside. Waterbased ones won't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back