Gloss or not to Gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for this but I have yet another stupid question........ I've painted all my interior doors, skirting and windows in white gloss and have been told that normally this should be painted in eggshell. For some reason I just presumed that all interior woodwork should be gloss because it's hardwearing and well, longer lasting. I hadn't realised that there is a 'standard' look for interior paintwork. Is gloss just unfashionable or is there a reason why eggshell is preferred?
Thanks in advance
Gustav

Sponsored Links
no reason why not mate, its all down to preference

The main reason is that gloss is unforgiving on imperfect surfaces, satin much more accommodating.

chappers said:
no reason why not mate, its all down to preference

Id say the same...its your house paint it with whatever you want, if you have a Dado rail though and the walls are matt then I would go for eggshell as a finish because the shiney gloss line can really stand out.

If the walls are silk then maybe not so much..but then satin finish lends itself better to silk IMO

I dont use gloss at home purely because I dont like it...there are no rights and wrongs really....just 'angles' on the norm.

Perhaps the reason they said eggshell would have been better was because the woodwork was in poor condition...gloss tends to highlight every lump bump and nib...the flatter the paint the less light reflectance..the less uneven surfaces stand out.

Both are hard wearing......but eggshell can retain grubby finger prints more.

Sponsored Links
I used the quick drying satin finish, dulux or crown on my doors, very impressed with the reults and you don't get the runs you can get with gloss, and if you got kids or just fogetfull, it drys within 2 hours :)

It did need 3 coats though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back