EICR opinion please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A letting agent has asked for a second opinion on a CU, Apparently the elderly and long term tenant passed April 2020 with covid, they took the opportunity to do some refurb including new CU and some rewiring and cert issued at the time shows an existing submain to shed on 25A MCB. and existing shed CU as 4 MCB circuits for: Outside DSSO - 16A, internal DSSO - 16A, light - 5A & pond pump - 5A.

Tenant moved out recently so EICR done and only shows one code which is shed CU C1 need replacing and quote for £600. From Agents description it sounds like it may be a metal Wylex with plug in MCB's.

Yes I know it's old and I haven't seen it yet so don't have any condition report, do any have a real opinion on the continued use of them or should they be replaced regardless? (I have 2 bakelite versions in use at home:notworthy:)

I'm assuming there is RCD there somewhere, else it shouldn't have passed 3 years back.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with those plug in MCBs other than the lack of RCD protection.
If there is an RCD / RCBO for the shed submain, no separate RCD required in the shed.

For only 2 sockets, light and a pump, the shed doesn't really need a CU of it's own at all. Wire the sockets direct to the submain and add a couple of FCUs for the lights and pond pump.

In any event, nothing there that could justify a C1.
C2 if no RCD protection or some other unmentioned problem.
More than likely no code required.

Nothing wrong with those plug in MCBs other than the lack of RCD protection.
If there is an RCD / RCBO for the shed submain, no separate RCD required in the shed.

For only 2 sockets, light and a pump, the shed doesn't really need a CU of it's own at all. Wire the sockets direct to the submain and add a couple of FCUs for the lights and pond pump.

In any event, nothing there that could justify a C1.
C2 if no RCD protection or some other unmentioned problem.
More than likely no code required.
That just about sums up my thoughts but I won't be there till next week to see what's what.

My thoughts have always been C1 is simple, you can touch some thing live. So missing base for plug in MCB's yes C1, but there needs to be some thing rather drastic to warrant a C1.

If no reason for a C1 then clearly an error so original EICR is void.

Nearly everything we give a C2 to, could also be given a C3, the potentially dangerous label is pointless, as all 230 volt is always potentially dangerous, so it is at the inspectors discretion as to what has a C2 and what has a C3, missing some thing yes trading standards can and have pulled inspectors up on it, but as long as the items are listed, and it would have passed when designed, then no one can really say the report is in error.

I feel all domestic premises should have all circuits with RCD protection, but unless TT this is secondary protection, so it is only recommended. With a TT then yes C2 or even C1, but not with TN, however this is a personal opinion, there is no rule either way.

Sponsored Links
@SUNRAY What did you find when you went to the site? What reg(s) did the EICR refer to when the inspector coded C1?
Blimey, can't believe this is a month already, still waiting for access, not sure what the hold up is as I'm going as a second person and a 'subby'.

WOW. that started over 2 months ago, apparently the tenancy agreement came to an end, the agent attended and completed paperwork/took possession of keys etc, electrician attended later that day for EICR then the tenant moved back in and claimed never moved out; AAAaarrgh!!

We are now expecting to get in early next week. In the meantime; part of the estimate for correcting the CI came via email including an apology the scan has cocked up formatting:

To isolate and lock off sub main supply to shed

Strip existing Shed consumer unit and remove

Supply and fit MK Sentry consumer unit £ 73.87

Supply and fit MK Sentry main switch £ 10.87

Supply and fit MK Sentry surge protection device £ 41.87

Supply and fit MK Sentry 6A type A 30mA RCBO for lighting £36.87

Supply and fit MK Sentry 6A type A 30mA RCBO for pond pump £36.87

Supply and fit MK Sentry 16A type A 30mA RCBO for outside socket £36.87

Supply and fit MK Sentry 32A type A 30mA RCBO for sockets £36.87

Reterminate existing cable, perform all electrical tests.

In main consumer unit

Disconnect and remove existing 25A MCB

Supply and fit 40A type B MCB £ 2.71

Reterminate cables, perform all electrical tests

Relabel all circuits as required.

Remove and correctly dispose of all debris and leave site in clean condition

Labour. 5 hours £310.00

Complete and submit all test sheets as required £ 57.50

Subtotal £644.30

VAT at 20% £ 128.86

Total £773 06

That's a steep estimate for a shed CU with 4 circuits and you still haven't said why the current fuse box has a C1 code. As already pointed out, the shed doesn't necessarily need a CU. In your first post you said there were 2 5amp fuses and 2 16amp breakers, but the quote has a 32amp rcbo. If this should be a 16amp rcbo, there is no need to change the main board.

That's a steep estimate for a shed CU with 4 circuits and you still haven't said why the current fuse box has a C1 code. As already pointed out, the shed doesn't necessarily need a CU. In your first post you said there were 2 5amp fuses and 2 16amp breakers, but the quote has a 32amp rcbo. If this should be a 16amp rcbo, there is no need to change the main board.
Yeah You are right it is beefed up a bit too much. Haven't been yet, hopefully next week

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back