Elctricity Supply Regulations

RJT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know this is not strictly a DIY problem but I am trying to gain information regarding a electric meter position that following a house renovation has finished up inside the bathroom and is now situated 200 - 300mm away from a shower. (NB Its in a holiday home and for a considerable time the whole installation is actually all switched off)

Is this allowed under the supply regulations and does anyone have any clue as to the costs of moving it one metre out of the bathroom and into the hallway. Its an overhead supply. The RCD/MCB's etc are already in the hallway.

Sponsored Links
Has the meter moved or the bathroom grown around the meter?

I'm sure the Electricians will also want to see a picture. :D

The 'bathroom' was only a loo and following renovation now contains shower, bath, loo and basin and has therefore grown around the meter position.

A pic would be nice, it sounds like it is in Zone 2 of a special location so I'm affraid it doesn't sound like it is suitable to me. The bad news is that only your electricity board can move it.

Sponsored Links
The cost will depend on the route the main supply cable takes... If it needs to be extended to move the incomer and meter then prepare yourself for a hefty bill - it certainly would have been easier and cheaper not build the bathroom around it ;)

For an accurate price you will have to contact your DNO.

Is it against an external wall?

is there access to the other side of the wall?

Hi, I know this is not strictly a DIY problem.
But is it a problem which has arisen because of DIY?

No, its happened this way as there was no where else for the bathroom to go. ie drainage was existing and within a concrete floor otherwise it was a jack hammer, a lot of dust and a lot more hard work.

Is it against an external wall?

is there access to the other side of the wall?

Its against an outside wall and there is good access both to the old and new position. It's less than 0.5 metre between the old and new position in fact its a 90 deg turn of the board that holds the meter/cut-out which entails moving it from bathroom to hallway.

There is no slack from where the overhead conductors enters through the wall into the cut-out assembly.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Its against an outside wall
then you might consider having it in a meter box let into the wall, with access from outside.

Electricity suppliers like that because it enables meter reading when you are out.

Its against an outside wall
then you might consider having it in a meter box let into the wall, with access from outside.

Electricity suppliers like that because it enables meter reading when you are out.

Good option. Time to talk with the DNO. Just trying to do my 'homework' first.

No, its happened this way as there was no where else for the bathroom to go. ie drainage was existing and within a concrete floor otherwise it was a jack hammer, a lot of dust and a lot more hard work.
Sorry - I wasn't implying the job hadn't been done properly - just wondered if you'd been let down by a pro not advising you fully of the implications....

Sorry - I wasn't implying the job hadn't been done properly - just wondered if you'd been let down by a pro not advising you fully of the implications....

No, we always knew that we would have a problem and its seemed easier/better to move cable than it did to move a buried soil pipe.

If you say "we're thinking of having the meter turned round so it will be in an external box for easy meter-reading, what would that cost?" they might, possibly, feel more co-operative.

Hi, I know this is not strictly a DIY problem...
Why not? :confused:

...I am trying to gain information regarding a electric meter position that following a house renovation has finished up inside the bathroom and is now situated 200 - 300mm away from a shower.
Since you say it's not DIY, then it's really very simple - just sue the renovator for creating an illegally unsafe installation. Then club yourself over the head and write this line out 100 times:

"I must not engage dodgy tradespeople, because it damages the economy and puts lives at risk".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back