Economy 7 Heating and Supply

Oh, no, sorry - well, one if you wanted, I suppose. I just assumed ??? as he mentioned it it related to the immersion.
That's what I assumed, as well - but your comments about it were in response to what I said about the need for timed control of the storage heaters. I'm a bit confused!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So am I now. What has given rise to the possibility that the storage heaters may be on all day?
The fact that the OP has not found any timing device which would prevent them being on all day. It sounds as if his whole installation is connected to the same 'supply', with everything enjoying E7 rates, day and night.

I think we probably need some pictures - there could be a contactor for the storage heaters controlled by the E7 clock.

Kind Regards, John

Hi Guys.

The models of my storage heaters are: Creda 79162 and Creda 79152.

Hot water controller:
Hortsmann Economy 7 Quartz

I know you can take of the timer off it and set the E7 times inside.

The Meter is an electric meter is this one:
Landis Gyer 5246C
Whjen i spoke to the Meter Plus guy, he said it has two sources that come out of it and automatically switches depending on the time. When you press the blue button it does show rate 1 and rate 2.

I am still uncomfortable with the whole situation because i actually cant figure out when the storage heaters are coming on.[/url]

Sponsored Links
The Meter is an electric meter is this one:
Landis Gyer 5246C
Whjen i spoke to the Meter Plus guy, he said it has two sources that come out of it and automatically switches depending on the time. When you press the blue button it does show rate 1 and rate 2. ... I am still uncomfortable with the whole situation because i actually cant figure out when the storage heaters are coming on
OK, so that meter has a contactor in it, and a time-switched output as well as an 'ordinary' one. That partially explains things, but still leaves some questions!

As I intimated in my last post, is there any chance of some photos of the meter and it's surroundings, showing us what the meter is connected to etc.?

Kind Regards, John

Most dual or triple rate meters are all self contained these days. No external timer or contractor to consider, all contained in one box. This is the case with yours.

A cold storage heater will typically consume around 7hrs of constant electric with no thermostat switching. At 5.8p per unit, a 3.4kw heater will cost £1.38 per day, plus (is it 5% vat?), so £1.45. Around £3.35 for three days.

OK, so that meter has a contactor in it, and a time-switched output as well as an 'ordinary' one. That partially explains things, but still leaves some questions!

As I intimated in my last post, is there any chance of some photos of the meter and it's surroundings, showing us what the meter is connected to etc.?

Kind Regards, John

I shall post some up on Sunday night.

Most dual or triple rate meters are all self contained these days. No external timer or contractor to consider, all contained in one box. This is the case with yours.

A cold storage heater will typically consume around 7hrs of constant electric with no thermostat switching. At 5.8p per unit, a 3.4kw heater will cost £1.38 per day, plus (is it 5% vat?), so £1.45. Around £3.35 for three days.

That may explain the cost, but then that would mean through winter i would be spending over £100 on heating just 3 heaters. Thats not including lighting, electric shower, hot water, tv and other devices!

I think i definitely need a timer on the fuse box!

I shall post some up on Sunday night.
That would be great. Try to provide us with pictures which show us where the cables from the meter go, together with yout 'HW controller' (and cables connected to it),and anything else which appears relevant.
That may explain the cost, but then that would mean through winter i would be spending over £100 on heating just 3 heaters. Thats not including lighting, electric shower, hot water, tv and other devices! I think i definitely need a timer on the fuse box!
Assuming that the storage heaters are connected to that 'switched output' of the meter, the current situation will be that they will be 'on' whenever (but only when) the tarrif is on it's 'cheap rate' (i.e. for a total of 7 hours per day), but everything else in your installation will also be enjoying the cheap rates at those times as well - including (contrary to what EON told you) the two 'daytime' 2.5h periods.

If, as you seem to have been suggesting, you want the storage heaters to be 'powered' for less than 10 hours per day, then it would be possible include additional 'timed switching' in the feed to the storage heaters, so that they were not on for the full 10 hours, even if their supply from the meter was 'on'. However, if (as I seem to recall), there are several storage heaters, standard timeswitches would not, in themselves, be able to switch a load that high - unless a 'meaty' timeswitch could be found, you would probably have to have a 'contactor' controleld by a timeswitch. Bear in mind, however, that if you do reduce the number of hours during which the storage heaters are powered, they might not perform (in terms of giving out heat) in the manner you would like. Of course,if you do get away with the E10, then things will change - but you'll still have that need to time-switch the supply to the storage heaters.

Edit: everything which has been changed to red above is total rubbish - I had this thread muddled up in my mind with another, in which an OP had an E10 tariff and was thinking of getting rid of it. Apologies for the confusion.

Kind Regards, John

Hi Guys, please find the photos here:

Meter Box: This includes the landlords meter, which is the black dial one on the bottom right.

The grey one is mine.

From what i understand, the shource splits into 3:
2 into my Meter, 1 into the landlords.

From my meter there are two outputs that go into the flat.

(Please correct me if i am wrong).

RCD: Main - This supplys everything except the storage heaters. Including the Hot water.

RCD: 2 - This supplies only the three storage heaters.

Hi Guys, please find the photos here: Meter Box: This includes the landlords meter, which is the black dial one on the bottom right. The grey one is mine. From what i understand, the shource splits into 3: 2 into my Meter, 1 into the landlords.
Thanks. I'm not sure why you think it splits into three. There seems to be one pair of cables going to your meter, and one pair to the landlords, which is what one would expect.
From my meter there are two outputs that go into the flat. (Please correct me if i am wrong).
That seems correct (one pair of cables to each of your Consumer Units - one for storage heaters and the other for everything else).

This all seems to confirm what I speculated in my previous post, namely:
Assuming that the storage heaters are connected to that 'switched output' of the meter, the current situation will be that they will be 'on' whenever the tarrif is on it's 'cheap rate' (i.e. for a total of 10 hours per day), but everything else in your installation will also be enjoying the cheap rates at those times as well - including (contrary to what EON told you) the two 'daytime' 2.5h periods.

I've just realised that most of what I wrote in my last post was rubbish - I had this muddled up in my mind with another thread in which the OP had an E10 tariff that he was contemplating getting rid of. I have edited my post above accordingly, and apologise for the confusion. The setup you have appears to be as it should be. The storage heaters will come on when, and only when, you are getting cheap rate electricity, which is the normal setup.

Kind Regards, John

Hi Thanks for your response.
Dont worry about what you wrote in the red :D

Thats good as long as it works. Maybe i was just shocked at how much it actually costs me to heat one room using Storage heaters for a night. I am used to a gas central heating, for the whole house (My bill for my home in Manchester is Gas: £60, and Electric £45).

Now i just have to decide if i want to stay on E7.

I get home any time after 5 on week days, and only really turn the heaters on for an hour in the morning before work (any time between 7 and 9), or a few hours in the evening. Although i am getting a tenant in for one of the rooms so this may increase a bit.

I need to find a new place with gas central heating.

Maybe i was just shocked at how much it actually costs me to heat one room using Storage heaters for a night. I am used to a gas central heating, for the whole house (My bill for my home in Manchester is Gas: £60, and Electric £45).
As you've been told, each 3kW heater will, if 'on' continuously (not turned off by its thermostat) for the 7 'cheap' hours cost about £1.28 per night (21 kWh @5.8p,plus 5% VAT). Three of those would therefore cost you £3.84 per night, around £115 per month.
Now i just have to decide if i want to stay on E7.
That clearly depends on the extent to which you're going to use the storage heaters and what other electricity usage you have. At a guessed typical single-tariff rate of around 14p per kWh, each storage hetaer would cost around £2.94 per night, hence £8.82 per night for three of them (about £265 per month).
I get home any time after 5 on week days, and only really turn the heaters on for an hour in the morning before work (any time between 7 and 9), or a few hours in the evening. Although i am getting a tenant in for one of the rooms so this may increase a bit.
I'm not sure I fully understand this. Do I take it that all three storage heaters are usually switched off (either at your consumer unit or at the heaters themselves). Storage heaters are not intended to (and are not very good for) providing heat at the time 'when you want it') - they store up heat at night and then release it gradually during the day. You'd probably be better off using something like a fan heater for short spells of heating 'when required'. Furthermore, with your wiring as it appears to be (unless we are misunderstanding), it should not be possible for you to 'switch on' the storage heaters at any time other than during the 'cheap hours' (at night), since it should only be at those times that your meter supplies electricity to the heaters' consumer unit. Have I misunderstood something?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back